Been Splitting!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
Not too shabby for my over 50 back! It’s nice to have a pile of apple, oak and maple for the near future!!
9F6E3E92-6E39-4A8D-ADC6-C971BABF1E70.jpeg

Good God, tsquini! 14 cords in a month! That looks like oak.
I know you are up in Yankeeland, the Land of Ice and Snow, but you can't possibly burn 14 cords in a winter, can you?
What do you split with?

What kind of wood stove do you have? I have heard that y'all Yankees are industrious, but this takes the cake.

Reactions: Riff
I've been splitting very green pine, 25" rounds that are very heavy due to high moisture. Very stringy and difficult to separate the splits. Will dry out by winter in the dry California Trinity Alps.

Reactions: Riff
I've been splitting very green pine, 25" rounds that are very heavy due to high moisture. Very stringy and difficult to separate the splits. Will dry out by winter in the dry California Trinity Alps.
I've been splitting some green pine too . Half the time the axe just bounces off the damn round