beginner questions (first stove - drolet escape 1500)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tmclil

Oct 16, 2020
Canada
round cast iron ash plug - this is in.
Do i only remove this when sweeping ashes through the hole into the firebox underneath on the pedestal?

aside from this plug, the bottom (sides and inside ceiling) are refractory bricks.
but the manual mentions raking the coals on the bottom.
can anyone elaborate.

Does anyone have a basic picture diagram of airflow within the pedestal/stove. or youtube video.
Trying to grasp the EXACT circulation.
Especially in regard to the AIR INTAKE CONTROL and SECONDARY AIR TUBES (on the top of the inside)
I'm failing to correctly understand where the air is entering and leaving the main chamber

I want to easily verify the air intake control is properly working.

Stove and manual are found here.

thank you kindly

Can't tell you anything about airflow but can suggest calling sbi as they have awesome customer support.as far as the ash dump,it stays in there till you are ready to rake ashes into bottom personally I never use the ash pan,I clean my stove out with a metal scoop into a metal pail.i find those ash pans a pita but that's just me.

round cast iron ash plug - this is in.
Do i only remove this when sweeping ashes through the hole into the firebox underneath on the pedestal?

aside from this plug, the bottom (sides and inside ceiling) are refractory bricks.
but the manual mentions raking the coals on the bottom.
can anyone elaborate.

Does anyone have a basic picture diagram of airflow within the pedestal/stove. or youtube video.
Trying to grasp the EXACT circulation.
Especially in regard to the AIR INTAKE CONTROL and SECONDARY AIR TUBES (on the top of the inside)
I'm failing to correctly understand where the air is entering and leaving the main chamber

I want to easily verify the air intake control is properly working.

Stove and manual are found here.

thank you kindly
The primary air enters the firebox just above the glass. This is the air wash system. Once you close the intake air control, most air comes in through the secondary air tubes. A little air may still come in above the glass to keep it clean.