Q&A Bending a Straight Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I want to move my wood stove from the center of my room closer to the wall. It's a 6" flue that goes straight up. There's 42" of ceiling to roof run in the attic and I would displace the ceiling hole 84". Can I keep the existing roof exit rig and use two pipe turns in the attic to my new ceiling location? Can it be done without decreasing significantly my flue's efficiency?

Answer:

Offsetting the pipe 7 feet, which is what it sounds like you want to do, is probably not practical. It cannot be done with class A chimney in the attic....if done, it must be done with black pipe inside. Again, it is impractical since you'd have to provide floor protection under the entire pipe. In addition, your draft would be poor because of this far of an offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.