bends with large diameter pex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
to date, I've worked with PEX a lot for plumbing, but in that setting, 3/4 " diameter is the largest that I have worked with

One of the features that won me over to PEX is the ability to make it "go where you want" without a lot of fittings- such as around corners without elbows, using those curve-holding supports used instead of elbows

I've not yet worked with or even handled PEX in the sizes such as 1.25 or 1.5 inch that I'm considering using to tie my primary loop to my storage tank

I know that even at 3/4, PEX is pretty "assertive" in displaying its desire to return to its original shape, so I have to imagine that at 1.25 to 1.5 inch diameters, it's pretty obstinate stuff to handle in general and hold in any shape.

does anyone know if you can still get PEX in the 1.25 or 1.5 inch diameters to bend, and stay bent?

if so, what radius can you work with, and what do you use to hold it in place?

thanks

Pex is required to be able to bend at a radius of 6 pipe (outside) diameters. Some is better.

Outside diameter is typically ID, plus 1/8". Large-diameter pex is less-standardized than small-diameter pex, so be sure what you're getting (ie, when they say that it's "1-inch," are they referring to ID or OD?)

Use clips (plastic, or plastic-coated metal) to secure it to a board where it bends.

Plan for expansion, because pex can fail due to abrasion.

Consider PEX-AL-PEX for large diameter, long-run use, due to its superior flow characteristics.

Joe

I used some O2 barrier 1" pex to hook up my pellet boiler, it was pushing me around while I was trying to bend it in my crawlspace! larger sizes would take another person to get the bends done correctly.

rowerwet said:
I used some O2 barrier 1" pex to hook up my pellet boiler, it was pushing me around while I was trying to bend it in my crawlspace! larger sizes would take another person to get the bends done correctly.

I've been thinking about what to do and how (aside from elbow connectors as an alternative to bends, but which will introduce more head loss)

what I've been thinking of lately is to take some PVC conduit "sweeps" and carefully zip them open with as jigsaw, and use those as both a form for making the bend in the PEX in the first place, and as a support for the bend once achieved. maybe use zip ties to hold it in place?

I welcome suggestions on whether that sounds like a promising idea or a fools errand-- and how to make it as close to the former and least of the latter as possible...

pybyr said:
what I've been thinking of lately is to take some PVC conduit "sweeps" and carefully zip them open with as jigsaw, and use those as both a form for making the bend in the PEX in the first place, and as a support for the bend once achieved. maybe use zip ties to hold it in place?

I welcome suggestions on whether that sounds like a promising idea or a fools errand-- and how to make it as close to the former and least of the latter as possible...

Workable, but probably excessive. Unless the bend has to be suspended in midair, you can just fasten it to a board.

They do make split PVC bends - solar installers use them to go over the pipes, after then are installed and insulated.

Depending upon the specific dimensions, there might be a SlimDuct fitting which would work. Pricey, but it would look darn cool to install all the pex in SlimDuct :)

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.