Best 70-80cc Saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely. For practical purposes, you can't say what you need unless you have some idea of what you need it for. For firewood in my area, a 50cc/70cc combo is more than sufficient -- luxurious, even. A smaller, lightweight saw is nice to have once in a while for light work. I've started milling a bit, and for that 90+cc is more appropriate.

I thought the 064 was great fun, and still would like one to play with, but I don't have the truck to move or the splitter to split the size rounds it's meant to cut.

Reactions: duramaxman05
For firewood in my area, a 50cc/70cc combo is more than sufficient -- luxurious, even.

That's what I run a 50/70cc combo. Looking back though and/or if when my saws wear out I will probably go for a 60cc. I'm cutting mainly oak these days that's roughly 18 inch to about 25 inch on average around. The 50cc is slow in that wood, the 70cc is fast but it's heavy. I'm not getting any younger. I figure a 60cc is perfect and can still cut the 30inch plus rounds and run a 24 inch bar on occasion if need be. It be just a touch slower in the cut with a 20 inch bar on it than a 70cc saw would be but it's 2 to 3 lbs lighter than a 70cc.

But to the original posters question like I said before there are no bad 70cc to 80cc saws . A saw in this size is a premier flagship model for any manufacturer and will be built to last.

One last thought. They all cut and put wood in the truck. Just some faster than others. I'd take my 50cc saw with a fresh sharp chain over my 70cc saw with a old dull chain on it.

It be just a touch slower in the cut with a 20 inch bar on it than a 70cc saw would be but it's 2 to 3 lbs lighter than a 70cc.

FWIW, this bit isn't necessarily true. An 036 is 12.6# PHO, and that's in the same ballpark with other pro-grade 60cc models. A 044 lists at only 13#. That's why it's my favorite. An 046/460, though, is noticeably heavier -- 14.3#. I'm not sure where a 372 falls in there, because I'm finding a few different published weights for it.

Reactions: ReggieT
FWIW, this bit isn't necessarily true. An 036 is 12.6# PHO, and that's in the same ballpark with other pro-grade 60cc models. A 044 lists at only 13#. That's why it's my favorite. An 046/460, though, is noticeably heavier -- 14.3#. I'm not sure where a 372 falls in there, because I'm finding a few different published weights for it.
Ah! The 044::-)

... and to come full circle, that's why I love my 064! I figure it's about the lightest saw that will sling a 28" bar buried nose deep in 50" oak, with good speed. I've always been intrigued by the 044, but consider it too small for my "big" saw. Wouldn't mind replacing my 036 with one, but would really rather find a lighter 65cc saw!

Reactions: Jazzberry
... and to come full circle, that's why I love my 064! I figure it's about the lightest saw that will sling a 28" bar buried nose deep in 50" oak, with good speed. I've always been intrigued by the 044, but consider it too small for my "big" saw. Wouldn't mind replacing my 036 with one, but would really rather find a lighter 65cc saw!

I'll never be without one of my 026s and my 064. Could easily add a 020 /200 to that combo.

I've never run an 064 but I've run a newer 660 and have run a Husky 390 and they felt identical in the cut both with 28 inch bars buried in oak, with regular chain not a skip chain.

For me I buy saws based on dealer support. While we do have a lot of Stihl dealers nearby , they all seem to cater more to homeowner smaller models and don't stock bigger saws. However we do have an excellent Jonsered and Husky dealer so that is why all my saws are Swedish made and not German made. Not that it matters to me actually where the saw is made, I just like having great dealer support.

Last edited:
As long as it cuts, and does what you need there is no such thing as a bad saw. Some just cut faster and are able to go through bigger wood that's all. Just have to find what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.