Best brush for flex liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

philip_sallee2

Nov 19, 2019
KY
I searched a little before posting this but can't seem to get a clear answer. Does anyone have any strong opinions about the best brush for flexible lines, specifically thinner 2 ply liners? I am currently using a Rutland poly brush but have concerns about it or me being to rough. On a previous post about a chimney fire I posted some pictures of places where the liner was flapping and I am wondering if some of this could have been caused by how I was cleaning the chimney.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Search for the Sooteater. I have one and it is terrific. But definitely take the advice in previous thread to replace liner.

I searched a little before posting this but can't seem to get a clear answer. Does anyone have any strong opinions about the best brush for flexible lines, specifically thinner 2 ply liners? I am currently using a Rutland poly brush but have concerns about it or me being to rough. On a previous post about a chimney fire I posted some pictures of places where the liner was flapping and I am wondering if some of this could have been caused by how I was cleaning the chimney.

Thanks for any thoughts,
It honestly doesn't matter due to the fact that it was installed improperly there is now no way to properly clean it.

Agreed, I am replacing the liner and looking to see if there are any better alternatives to cleaning the new liner other than the Rutland brush. Trying to avoid having any seems flapped back on the new one.

Agreed, I am replacing the liner and looking to see if there are any better alternatives to cleaning the new liner other than the Rutland brush. Trying to avoid having any seems flapped back on the new one.
Don't get the same type of liner and those stupid flaps won't be an issue

I used to have a liner like yours and I ended up replacing with heavywall liner) with wrap insulation). A bit more expensive but a lot more durable. My goal was to get something that could likely handle an “ooops” moment of overfire or two better than lightwall (not that my plan was to abuse it). If you ever get your hands on a small length of the standard single wall, you’d be amazed how thin it is. Those products are tested to certain standards but it’s still freaky. I wonder how many ones are installed uninsulated and get damaged while installing. With heavywall, the inside is smooth-ish unlike the two ply stuff.

Last edited:
Don't mess around, get the heavy wall or at least mid-weight liner. And like bholler says, no 2-ply.