Best/Cleanest Method of Ash Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

parodi

Oct 2, 2009
NY State
Hi folks, newbie here.

I have been using my Hampton fireplace insert wood stove and I am loving it. I am completely new to heating with wood so I hope to learn a lot here.

I did my "break-in" burns and now I'm starting to make a fire or two a day. My questions are:

How often do you remove the ash pile from the bottom of the stove? And what is the cleanest/most efficient way to do it?

Right now I am using my old fireplace brass ash shovel which is about 5 inches wide and I dump the spent ash into a metal can with a lid. But each scoop dumped releases a small cloud of ash into the air.
I'm thinking that what would be better would be something almost as wide as the bottom of the stove floor so I could get practically all of it in one large scoop---maybe cut a cheapo snow showel to fit the exact width of the stove bottom and carry it carefully through the living room to dump it outside.

What do you think of ash vacuums too?

thanks for your responses

Hey, parodi

<>How often do you remove the ash pile from the bottom of the stove?<>

Once a week or more often if you've got a LOT of ash in the firebox...

<>And what is the cleanest/most efficient way to do it?
Right now I am using my old fireplace brass ash shovel which is about 5 inches wide and I dump the spent ash into a metal can with a lid. But each scoop dumped releases a small cloud of ash into the air.<>

If you clean the ashes while the unit is still drafting (i.e. WARM), keep your ash bucket CLOSE to the bottom of the opening.
This way, when you scoop & dump the ashes into the bucket, any ash dust will be sucked back up the flue by the draft.
I used this method when I burned mt Regency I3100L & it kept the dust in the room to a minimum...

<>I'm thinking that what would be better would be something almost as wide as the bottom of the stove floor so I could get practically all of it in one large scoop---maybe cut a cheapo snow showel to fit the exact width of the stove bottom and carry it carefully through the living room to dump it outside.<>

There are ash scoops available that have a top that you close BEFORE you remove them from the firebox...
Check your local hearth shop...

<>What do you think of ash vacuums too?<>

Cheetah Vacs are expensive - $200+ & they'll suck ALL the ashes out.
During the burning season, you want to leave some of the ashes on the floor of the firebox to fill any gaps in your fire bricks.
The ash will act as an insulator & keep heat from reaching the metal underneath.
I only used my ash vac at the end of the heating season when I did a thorough cleaning...
Your call.

You want to keep about 2" of ash on the stove floor at all times. Right now, once a week. Burning 24x7, every few days. When you burn 24x7, move the coals to one side, remove ash, move the coals to the other side, remove ash, pull the coals foward. Remember, leave 2" of ash.

Take a metal pail and lean it against the stove near the opening. Shovel ash and slowly release it into the pail. It's better to have ash in the pail. When you put the shovel into the pail, push it into the ash slowly, and then pull back the shovel slowly. Any dust should get pulled up into the stove because of the draft (if you have coals). I also have a damp towel to cover the pail in between shoveling. You should also invest in a larger metal barrel (30 gallon or so) to dump your small pail into. I usually get 5 or so cleanings before dumping into larger outdoor barrel.

I personally like the small shovel. The full size scoops will take a lot of coals with it. You want these coals in your stove. If you are cleaning a cold stove, the full size scoops are ok.

No need for an ash vac. I use a DC16 to clean up cool ash and wood chips around the stove. This vac has awsum suction power and a triple filter system.

Attachments

• super_DC16-SY-STD.jpg
    super_DC16-SY-STD.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,040
Don't even think about carrying burning coals through the livingroom on a shovel. During a season of burning, you WILL drop some. I'd go with one of the covered shovels. Or you can keep a shop vac nearby to have running to catch that cloud of dust, but again be very careful not to suck up any burning embers. My wife did this last year just cleaning up around the stove after she put in some wood and didn't realize the little piece of charcoal she sucked up was still burning. With the lovely draft the vacuum gave that sucker.. she managed to have a nice little burning vacuum cleaner on her hands. ended up tossing the whole thing out into the snow.. we're now the proud owners of a new vacuum cleaner.. Be VERY careful!!!

Wow. Thanks for the fast replies. I think I will start with the shovel with a cover and make sure there is a draft going when I do it. My mistake this morning was waiting for the stove to get cold.

This winter I vow, as God is my witness, to never wear a fleecy in the house again. I plan to run around the house naked and drink vodka all winter like the Russians do :-0

thanks again.

You need to make sure that your metal pail has a lip on the bottom so that the bottom of the pail is not sitting on the floor. The lip should keep the bottom of the pail raised up so the hot ash will not burn whatever is under the pail, ( your floor ). When burning 24/7 and letting the stove cool down I still find burning embers in the stove 24 hrs later, and after moving them with the shovel and giving them some air they heat up quickly again. Just a safety note.
I use a small shovel and lower the shovel in the pail so the ashes slide off not dump off the shovel.

Hurricane said:
You need to make sure that your metal pail has a lip on the bottom so that the bottom of the pail is not sitting on the floor. The lip should keep the bottom of the pail raised up so the hot ash will not burn whatever is under the pail, ( your floor ). When burning 24/7 and letting the stove cool down I still find burning embers in the stove 24 hrs later, and after moving them with the shovel and giving them some air they heat up quickly again. Just a safety note.
I use a small shovel and lower the shovel in the pail so the ashes slide off not dump off the shovel.

+1
I handle it like I was taught to handle fiberglass insulation... Like a baby! Make slow gentle movements so you don't kick up all them paticulates!

parodi said:
My questions are:

How often do you remove the ash pile from the bottom of the stove? And what is the cleanest/most efficient way to do it?

Right now I am using my old fireplace brass ash shovel which is about 5 inches wide and I dump the spent ash into a metal can with a lid. But each scoop dumped releases a small cloud of ash into the air.

I'm thinking that what would be better would be something almost as wide as the bottom of the stove floor so I could get practically all of it in one large scoop---maybe cut a cheapo snow showel to fit the exact width of the stove bottom and carry it carefully through the living room to dump it outside.

Welcome to the forum parodi!

Hopefully all of your questions will be answered satisfactorily and then you also can post with some of your wisdom. We are always ready to learn more.

How often to empty the ashes depends upon how often you burn, what type of wood you burn and how many ashes you want in the bottom. If you have no ash pan then it is usually best to leave at least an inch or two of ashes in the bottom. This is usually done by raking the coals all to the front, cleaning the ashes from the rear, then moving the coals to the rear and cleaning the front. It is very easy to do.

I was a very young lad when I began the chore of taking care of the heating and cooking stoves, both wood burners, in our home. It took me exactly one shovel full of ashes to learn how to best handle them!!!! If you don't do it right, you have a big mess.

When emptying ashes with the shovel, try to imagine you have a bunch of almost rotten tomatoes. Handle with care! That's rule #1. Rule #2 is that you never dump ashes; never! You slide them gently from the shovel. If you have an open container, you slowly and gently put the shovel down into the bucket without dumping them. When you have the shovel down to the bottom or to the ash level, then you simply lift the back of the shovel handle a bit and slowly slide the ashes out. If you do it right, you will not have a mess.

We heated with wood for many years using only an open container but for the last two years we have used this:

Ash holder

The Ash holder is nice because it does have a lid and is very heavy metal.

CAUTION: After you empty ashes, take the ash container outdoors. It is best to sit it on cement and make sure nothing is sitting near it lest you start a fire where you don't want one. Even after two or three days you could still have a live coal or two in the ashes, so please use caution.

Our procedure is to empty the ashes, sit the ash holder in the carport and leave it. The next time (usually a week in winter) ashes need to be dumped, then we dump the old ashes into a barrel. The new ashes get sit in the carport again. In the Spring of the year we dump all the ashes on our vegetable garden, spreading them thin before tilling them in.

When it comes chimney cleaning time, the soot and creosote can also be dumped on your garden. Flowers usually like soot and creosote too.

I've never used an ash vacuum and never could see a need for one. Well, my wife hasn't seen the need either as she does all the emptying of the ashes right now.

Good luck to you.

Also, don't forget to check your chimney once per month! Better to be safe than sorry. Don't burn green wood. Burn only dry wood. Best if it has been cut and split for two years.

Old pot with a lid. Hold the pot in the firebox, load it up, put the lid on. Works well for me. -Gabe

Backwoods Savage said:
parodi said:
My questions are:

Welcome to the forum parodi!

Hopefully all of your questions will be answered satisfactorily and then you also can post with some of your wisdom. We are always ready to learn more.

How often to empty the ashes depends upon how often you burn, what type of wood you burn and how many ashes you want in the bottom. If you have no ash pan then it is usually best to leave at least an inch or two of ashes in the bottom. This is usually done by raking the coals all to the front, cleaning the ashes from the rear, then moving the coals to the rear and cleaning the front. It is very easy to do.

I was a very young lad when I began the chore of taking care of the heating and cooking stoves, both wood burners, in our home. It took me exactly one shovel full of ashes to learn how to best handle them!!!! If you don't do it right, you have a big mess.

When emptying ashes with the shovel, try to imagine you have a bunch of almost rotten tomatoes. Handle with care! That's rule #1. Rule #2 is that you never dump ashes; never! You slide them gently from the shovel. If you have an open container, you slowly and gently put the shovel down into the bucket without dumping them. When you have the shovel down to the bottom or to the ash level, then you simply lift the back of the shovel handle a bit and slowly slide the ashes out. If you do it right, you will not have a mess.

We heated with wood for many years using only an open container but for the last two years we have used this:

Ash holder

The Ash holder is nice because it does have a lid and is very heavy metal.

CAUTION: After you empty ashes, take the ash container outdoors. It is best to sit it on cement and make sure nothing is sitting near it lest you start a fire where you don't want one. Even after two or three days you could still have a live coal or two in the ashes, so please use caution.

Our procedure is to empty the ashes, sit the ash holder in the carport and leave it. The next time (usually a week in winter) ashes need to be dumped, then we dump the old ashes into a barrel. The new ashes get sit in the carport again. In the Spring of the year we dump all the ashes on our vegetable garden, spreading them thin before tilling them in.

When it comes chimney cleaning time, the soot and creosote can also be dumped on your garden. Flowers usually like soot and creosote too.

I've never used an ash vacuum and never could see a need for one. Well, my wife hasn't seen the need either as she does all the emptying of the ashes right now.

Good luck to you.

Also, don't forget to check your chimney once per month! Better to be safe than sorry. Don't burn green wood. Burn only dry wood. Best if it has been cut and split for two years.

Thanks for the tip about the ash holder. I tried to order the other covered scoop from www.zoober.com from earlier in this thread and found that they don't make that one anymore.

One question: I have a fireplace insert from Hampton. How do I check the chimney every month? I can't see the chimney from the stove and the top of the chimney is two stories up. Are you suggesting that I climb up there evey month?

Yes! Of course while you are up there, take a wire brush with you and clean the cap. That is where it will get dirty the fastest. But there is another option too.

Do you have a cleanout at the bottom of the chimney? You can insert a mirror in there to see up the chimney which will save a lot of climbing. Sometimes you may even have to shine a light up or down the chimney to get a good look. Try to do the inspection when there is not smoke in the chimney too.

Again, most of the soot and creosote will be at the top of the chimney where it has cooled the most. That is why the caps get so dirty.

When I shovel out the ashes I hold our house vacuum (with HEPA filter) about 8" above the bucket when I carefully dump the scoopful..when the ash cloud puffs up, the vacuum sucks it all up and I have little dust in the room. However, you have to be VERY careful not to suck up a coal in the $400 vacuum cleaner....

When I clean ashes out of a hot stove, I open a window and let the chimney draft suck the airborne ashes up the flue.

LLigetfa said:
When I clean ashes out of a hot stove, I open a window and let the chimney draft suck the airborne ashes up the flue.

wow...
your chimney has a strong draft because when I clean out my ashes my chimney is cold and the draft is pushing down not pulling up.

Ratman said:
LLigetfa said:

wow...
your chimney has a strong draft because when I clean out my ashes my chimney is cold and the draft is pushing down not pulling up.
I did say hot stove and wouldn't classify it as a strong draft hence having to open a window but it never reverses. I do however have an OAK and the inrush from it can carry airborne ash into the room if the stove is cold. Even without a fire, my chimney drafts constantly and the OAK frosts up the glass. With my newly added positive shutoff, the OAK will no longer be a problem.

I use a coal hod for an ash pail and am thinking of making a hinged lid for it. I've been looking for a nice ash pail with a hinged lid but so far no luck.

for hot ash i just shovel it into a bucket and let the draft take out the dust. Then move the metal bucket outside for it to cool.

For cool ash (stuff that fell or at the end of the season) I just use my shopvac, the filter (surprisingly) traps it all, not even a smell from it, very surprising. If you more concerned I would suggest that you could vac up cold ash with the drywall adapter that is sold at home depot. it pulls it all through a bucket of water keeping hte ash from the filter. Probably a good idea, but i dont have one and havent tried it.

I like the ashtrap as well, but the links I used to use don't work any more.
I think it was Canadian and came in two sizes.
It looks like this guy still sells something similar, but it looks like it only comes in the smaller size:
http://ashtrapper.com/

My stove has an ash pan which I typically empty weekly . . . but once in a while I'll scoop out the ash into my covered metal pail . . . when doing so I like to do this when the stove is relatively cool and I open the door for a bit to get the draft going so most of the fly ash will be pulled into the stove by the natural draft. Using a small shovel I take smaller, rather than larger, scoops and gently slide the ash off the shovel and into the pail . . . making sure to cover the pail as soon as I do so to minimize ash flying in the air.

Once the cleaning detail is done . . . the pail goes outside and is left on a cement pad for several days to a week or two (basically until it gets full) and then I dump it in a pile out back or in the garden depending on whether or not we have snow on the ground, the amount of ash I've already dumped in the garden, etc.

How often you clean out the ash depends largely on how often you burn and the size of your firebox . . . I like to keep an inch or two of ash in the firebox since it helps in overnight burns.

Vacuums . . . they seem nice . . . but expensive.

Finally, NO NO NO on carrying the ash in the house with a big shovel . . . dangerous.

I second the "Ashtrap". I've taken hot coals out with it. The lid slides to cover the ashes. Great product...

I got tired of doing the multi-scoop thing with my small ash scoop so I made one as wide as my stove door allowed. One scoop and I have it all. I even incorporated a wire screen so I can salvage the remaining hot coals and leave them inside for a quick restart.

wahoowad said:
I got tired of doing the multi-scoop thing with my small ash scoop so I made one as wide as my stove door allowed. One scoop and I have it all. I even incorporated a wire screen so I can salvage the remaining hot coals and leave them inside for a quick restart.

Got a photo to post?

Status
Not open for further replies.