Best Pellet in Ontario, Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrschmitt

Sep 23, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I am currently looking at buying my wood pellet for this season. We have a Winslow PS40 stove. Last season, we fell in love with LaCrete pellets. They seemed to burn hot, were relatively clean and they were locally available. They are no longer locally available. My local retailer is now carrying Platinum premium pellets. We tried these last year and found that they didn't burn as hot and left a bad smell in the house. Other brands that I have seem locally include but are not limited to:
-Pro Pellet
-Lac Wood
-Bio North Premium
-Canwick

Obviously, I won't go out and immediately buy an entire skid of a new pellet until I can test out a few bags, but I just want people's opinions on what they recommend. I can find lots of pellet reviews for pellets that are sold in the US, but very limited information about pellets sold in Ontario. Maybe somebody out there has the same stove as me and can recommend a brand in Ontario that rocks. My local retailer says that everyone is raving about these Platinums, but my stove really didn't like them last season.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt. Of your list, we see the Canawick here in Halifax from time to time. They are made in northern New Brunswick.

I'd call them a middle-of-the-road pellet, inferior to LaCrete, Cozys, Eastern Embers, and LGs. In my experience (I have a Harman stove), I found they produced less heat and more ash. I'd buy Canawick if they were on sale, but would keep shopping if they were regular price.

Where in Ontario are you? The LaCrete pellets are still available here in NW ON or if need be...a short drive (2 1/2 hrs) to Winnipeg... they are at $5.99 at HD but if you talk to the seasonal dept manager and by a ton or more the price drops to $5.50

Reactions: boomhour
Where in Ontario are you? The LaCrete pellets are still available here in NW ON or if need be...a short drive (2 1/2 hrs) to Winnipeg... they are at $5.99 at HD but if you talk to the seasonal dept manager and by a ton or more the price drops to $5.50
Where are you buying the LaCrete in Kenora? I am in Fort Frances, and I have been buying Canawick at Canadian Tire. I would be interested in trying out the LaCrete pellets.

Where are you buying the LaCrete in Kenora? I am in Fort Frances, and I have been buying Canawick at Canadian Tire. I would be interested in trying out the LaCrete pellets.
Home Depot carries them!

I stand corrected... its some of the Cdn Tire store in Winnipeg that carry LaCrete pellets...that said HD has a better price and will negotiate..I tried that at Cdn Tire and got a solid NO to a deal on bulk pricing... sorry for the misinformation.. if you are in Winnipeg anyway drop into Heat Savers 1200 Sargent Ave (near RONA)... I got a great deal on a couple tons of Swan Valley softwood pellets from them..
spl1.jpg