Best place to mount a stovetop thermometer on 30nc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mine on the front of the "step" in the middle. About as good a place for a reading as anywhere.

BrotherBart said:
I have mine on the front of the "step" in the middle. About as good a place for a reading as anywhere.

That's that hottest spot I can find using my IR thermometer so that's where I put it also.

Here are a few demo shots to get my observations of how my 30 behaves .

This is a repost of something I drew up for a guy on here last season. Perhaps this shows why I was kicked out of Art class in school.

BTW, those temps would come from a probe thermometer on the stove pipe and rutland magnetic thermometers placed on the hottests spots of the stove on the top center and on the front right (right in between where the fire brick stop but where the baffle hasn't started yet)

thermometertemps1.jpg

thermometertemps2.jpg

thermometertemps3.jpg

thermometertemps4.jpg

I have mine on stove top because my pipe is double wall (code for here)

BrotherBart said:

BB...when you say front of the step, do you mean on the flat in front of the step or on the slanted part of the step? Probably doesn't make much of a difference but hey...

Pen

Thanks for the drawings, they are certainly helpful. In your first picture you begin to decrease your draft when the stove hits 500 degrees...how far back do you set it at that point to reach your cruising temp?

The slanted part. Easier to read.

jstellfox said:
Pen

Thanks for the drawings, they are certainly helpful. In your first picture you begin to decrease your draft when the stove hits 500 degrees...how far back do you set it at that point to reach your cruising temp?

Well, how much it needs to be reduced will depend on what the fire looks like, how much wood is in the stove, how good your draft is, etc.

I'd say for my setup at that point I'd usually close the damper so that the stove edge of the brass wire knob is just in line w/ the front edge of the ash lip. I then come back a little later and close it down to the cruise setting (for me, that is nearly closed).

Just play around w/ it and see what works. If the fire dies down instead of steadies / slightly increases yet, then you went too far closed too early.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.