BEST SMELLING FIREWOOD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

detmurds

Jun 2, 2006
Seabeck, WA
aol.com
Hey Folks, just wondering which type of wood smells the best when burned? I burn pretty much 3 types here in the Northwest, Fur, Pine, and I think the 3rd is some type of elm? The pine gives off a nice scent from my observation. However, I am not too smart on trees.

What do you all think?

I vote for ash. Smells like vanilla to me. Cherry is #2 I guess.

I have heard Apple smells quite nice..I have never burned it

I like Cherry..can I say how much I love the smell of freshly split Red Oak..?

that Doesnt smell too bad burning either

I dont know about in the stove but when I use Hickory to smoke beef/pork/turkey/chicken it is heavenly.

No Hickory trees on my property, anyone have some they want to trade for some Red Oak?

Apple, cherry, pear are all good. It is completely different, but I like walnut. Some evergreens are excellent too. I like balsam fir.

Cherry.

Dylan, you've never opened the door to re-load and had a little puff go into the room?

That and what it smells like outside.

Sometimes i do that on purpose- ( NO- the denial thing is a good defense, that is normal) I accidently open and close the door swiftly after loading a split, then yell oops, a little smoke! To grab the aroma of some nice burning cedar, or hickory.

I'm going with Steve here...Cedar is great.

Dylan said:
babalu87 said:
Dylan, you've never opened the door to re-load and had a little puff go into the room?

If so, it hasn't stood out in my memory.... or I'm in serious denial.

Yeah, your in an Egyptian River for sure.

There doesnt have to be smoke involved to get a little of the wood smell into the room.

Cherry. Still working on a huge cherry tree we took down last winter. Smells nice even just split and sitting in a rack, let alone burning in the stove...

In the chimnea outside where you can appreciate the smell of burning wood I have found birch and iron wood (hop hornbeam) smell the best...kinda spicey sweet. It's from the bark. Once the bark burns off I can't really tell whats in there.

Beech/black birch, whatever that stuff that smells like Beechnut gum is. Juniper is pretty wonderful too. We used to have a stick of it. Put some shavings in a tin on the stove top and the aroma was wonderful.

Pinon. Absolutely the best. Nothing like it. It's delightful to walk through a neighborhood here on a winter evening and smell it.
The problem is... if you smell it, that means there's smoke coming from someone's chimney, which isn't what we want!

Dylan said:
Yeah, I've heard that pinon is the primary fuel-wood out New Mexico way.
True.
I've also heard that between the inversions and the topography (surrounding mountains) Albuquerque's air can get rather nasty.
Also true. The predictable result of building a city in the bottom of a (geological) bowl. Albuquerque is not only a PITA to type but can be a really stinky city sometimes. Not a problem here in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristos.

Dylan said:
When I worked in a nuke in southern California, one of the guys who'd worked at Los Alamos, used to bring it in for us to enjoy.
Ah, posole... that's what it's called here. Only a gringo would call it hominy! :)
Ooops, I am one...

Dylan said:
If you're talking about the aroma of a particular (burning) wood INSIDE the living space, are you not implying that the stove-chimney system is not drafting properly (inside said space)??

No draft problems at all here. It can also be appreciated to smell it while outside splitting more wood for the next winter!

Dylan said:
If you're talking about the aroma of a particular (burning) wood INSIDE the living space, are you not implying that the stove-chimney system is not drafting properly (inside said space)??

You're just jealous because all you get when you open your stove is a whiff of glue fumes from your burning cardboard :)

Here in the Sierra's we get Incense Cedar. Not the hottest burning wood but smells great. after that Id have to say Oak.

upon further contemplation I have come to realize that "free" firewood always smells the best to me

danielj618 said:
upon further contemplation I have come to realize that "free" firewood always smells the best to me

Obviously you've never breathed any poplar smoke, free or otherwise! :ahhh:

DiscoInferno said:
danielj618 said:

Obviously you've never breathed any poplar smoke, free or otherwise! :ahhh:

TRUE DAT.... PHEW AWFUL STUF

danielj618 said:

YES THATS THE ONE I WAS THINKING OF

Status
Not open for further replies.