Best time to buy pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltlhawk

Burning Hunk
Nov 24, 2012
Pelham, NH
I know that this is a bit early, but I am very curious when the best time to buy pellets would be. I know spring/summer is what most will say, but please be specific for us noobs. Should I buy in April or is later better? Do places carry them all year or is it a crap shoot?

Question 2: Do pellets have a shelf life?

Thanks guys,

Little Hawk

Where I get mine they are usually cheaper in April and then start going up but I would say to always have an eye open for a deal on something you like.

April/May usually brings the deals at the pellet houses. Some are early purchases from the mill and others are last seasons left overs. Box store deals are during the heatings season which brings the box store price wars.

I have also seen some mid season deals from pellet dealers, Sometimes pellet houses over buy and get stuff with too many so they drop the price to move them. Another deal(like last years trebio's) sometimes happen if a dealer purchase too much and doesn't pay promptly. The mill will step in an repo the pellets. They will have another dealer help move them at a reduced price. Don't see this too often though.

2.) As long as they don't get physically wet. They should last for years. I have burned some over 4 seasons old with no issues.

good info, thanks guys. I have already starting moving pellets out of the garage and into the basement to make room..hehehe

April/May usually brings the deals at the pellet houses. Some are early purchases from the mill and others are last seasons left overs. Box store deals are during the heatings season which brings the box store price wars.......
Agreed

3:00 pm. Hee!

Best time to buy...when you see them OR before you run out.

Reactions: save$
The place where I buy mine has an early bird special in late Sept.The last two years they had "Henry County Hardwoods" for $160.00 per ton.Can't beat-it.

The box stores by me stopped stocking pellets in late February. I ran out in March and had a few chilly nights!

When you can afford them, have a place for them, or find some you like. But I encourage you to stay ahead. Any time they start playing with the price of fossil fuel, the cost of pellets go up. If you keep a good buffer, you can wait out the big boys grip on every body's junk.

Last year my area stores were clearancing and not restocking in March because it was such a mild winter. If the temps go up into the 30's next week(1 ton has no heater)I may hit HD for three tons at 3.58 a bag. Gas and fuel prices going up and Europe sucking up our pellets there may be little decrease of pellet prices this spring IMHO.

I got my shoulder pellets from the box stores in mid August for $188/ton before military discount. I found the top quality prices didn't go up or down May to Sept when I ordered 2 tons for the cold months. Just make sure you factor in delivery costs if you can't pick them up yourself and order enough or more than enough if the delivery cost is the same. Box stores have had a flat $65 delivery fee for what I ordered. And at the price they were running in Aug I added another ton for that price. As someone mentioned earlier to "keep ahead", my HD is still selling Stove Chow or Fireside Ultras for $209/ton. I won't need them now, but I at that price I may spend the money and make 3 trips to pick them up. Not to mention I could use the exercise during the winter.

Winter exercise for pellets. Trudge out to tractor hauling cord to plug in block heater and charger then another cord over to truck to do same thing and hope the fuel last purchased was winter blend. Hope the tractor battery thats 6 years old will crank or have to jump with jeep. Run snowblower over to shed and blow door clear and clear a path to trailer so truck does not get stuck getting it out. If everything gets fired up the day is half shot and so am I and I still have to go get to town and back. Oh I love winter, it keeps the crime down.Gives me time to reload.

No pellet houses close to me really. I start looking at the box stores in August. Try to find a few toons of good pellets, i.e. Somersets, Green team, Hamers or lignetics (not so much anymore for the Hamers or Liggs) Maybe run to BT ent. to grab a ton if the good pellets aren't showing up. Used to get the Hardwood Heats and Winter Warmth pellets too. Start looking in ernest in August.
Like jtakeman said, keep your powder dry. Or was it keep your pellets dry? They will work for years.

Schoondog

Status
Not open for further replies.