Best way to clean unlined masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MannyF

Sep 29, 2023
Planet Earth
My wife and I have moved into a property that has a straight, square-shaped, unlined masonry chimney. I need to clean it out before I install a stainless steel flue and a cast iron stove. What is the best way to give it a good thorough clean? I was thinking sooteater as I'd be able to use it for the steel flue in the future, but I'm not sure how well it works on masonry. Thanks.

My wife and I have moved into a property that has a straight, square-shaped, unlined masonry chimney. I need to clean it out before I install a stainless steel flue and a cast iron stove. What is the best way to give it a good thorough clean? I was thinking sooteater as I'd be able to use it for the steel flue in the future, but I'm not sure how well it works on masonry. Thanks.
Unlined as in no clay liners just the brick or stone?

That's correct, just bare brick and mortar.
Then yes a rotary cleaner but be a bit careful that mortar will be very soft and you can remove allot of it with a cleaner.

I have the same setup. We didn't clean it as I had a 25' stainless steel double insulated flue pipe installed from the stove UP to the chimney back in 2007 when I had my first stove installed! Aside from the occasional little chunks of old old creosote dropping down, never had any issues.

I have the same setup. We didn't clean it as I had a 25' stainless steel double insulated flue pipe installed from the stove UP to the chimney back in 2007 when I had my first stove installed! Aside from the occasional little chunks of old old creosote dropping down, never had any issues.
The chimney really needs to be cleaned before installing a new liner

Reactions: msbree