Best way to do chimney for easy cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

2fireplacesinSC

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2015
mid South Carolina
Thinking to build a two-story house with a freestanding stove. (Probably a Jøtul F500 v3 if that matters)

What is the best way to do a chimney so that I never have to climb on the roof?

Is that possible?

I hate ladders and roofs.

Thanks.

Have you considered a tee-out?

I’ll consider anything to avoid having to get on the roof. No chimney sweeps in this area to speak of.

Chimney will go out the roof most likely and not exit out the side the house. However, I’m willing to consider any option.

My current two stoves are all vertical from stove to cap. Both stoves allow me to run a sooteater into the loading door and all the way up to the cap. No roof walking needed and all vertical is usually the ideal chimney system. The flue junk just falls down into the stove.

When choosing stoves, consider this ability as some stoves can’t be cleaned this way

Reactions: blacktail
My current two stoves are all vertical from stove to cap. Both stoves allow me to run a sooteater into the loading door and all the way up to the cap. No roof walking needed and all vertical is usually the ideal chimney system. The flue junk just falls down into the stove.

When choosing stoves, consider this ability as some stoves can’t be cleaned this way

any idea how do I find out if the F500 Jotul can be cleaned that way?

any idea how do I find out if the F500 Jotul can be cleaned that way?
The baffle is not very easy to remove on them so cleaning through the stove is possible but not that easy. A telescoping section of pipe works fine then tape a bag over the bottom and clean up through that. Not as easy as through the stove but not bad at all.

The baffle is not very easy to remove on them so cleaning through the stove is possible but not that easy. A telescoping section of pipe works fine then tape a bag over the bottom and clean up through that. Not as easy as through the stove but not bad at all.
That's how I cleaned my last setup. Remove the tele pipe, insert brush,tape a bag on the pipe sticking through the ceiling, poke a hole in the bag and attach fiberglass poles as you progress up the chimney. Worked a charm.

I think the most challenging aspect of bottom up cleaning using something like a soot eat is getting the chimney cap cleaned. If your cap has a screen in it that is generally going to be one of the dirtiest parts of your system and the hardest to clean. I clean from the top down and always remove my cap and bring it down to clean with a wire brush. Perhaps there are some caps that lend themselves better than others for bottom up cleaning.

I think the most challenging aspect of bottom up cleaning using something like a soot eat is getting the chimney cap cleaned. If your cap has a screen in it that is generally going to be one of the dirtiest parts of your system and the hardest to clean. I clean from the top down and always remove my cap and bring it down to clean with a wire brush. Perhaps there are some caps that lend themselves better than others for bottom up cleaning.
Rotary cleaners do a very good job of cleaning the cap. I usually clean them rotary even when I do top down.

Reactions: Highbeam
That's how I cleaned my last setup. Remove the tele pipe, insert brush,tape a bag on the pipe sticking through the ceiling, poke a hole in the bag and attach fiberglass poles as you progress up the chimney. Worked a charm.
Same here. Here, the inside telescope and a couple elbows come off easily in one assembled unit, and can be taken outside to brush. Bag with a hole taped to the ceiling box, run the brush up through the hole, stuff falls in the bag. Very little gets loose from the bag. Straight up pipe from ceiling box to cap. Have the builder try to align joists and trusses for a straight shot.

There are no silly screens in my caps. The rotary tools whip the heck out of all the slots in the cap so this is no problem. I do spend a second or two spinning the whips at the cap and then reverse the drill and whip it the other way just to get all of the spots. I then retract the rotary head whipping in the opposite direction all the way down just to get a good whipping in each direction.

I’ll consider anything to avoid having to get on the roof. No chimney sweeps in this area to speak of.

Chimney will go out the roof most likely and not exit out the side the house. However, I’m willing to consider any option.

I can't say that a tee out is the best option when it comes to draft (because it isn't), but it was my only option for the location of my stove. I do find it easy (or at least not too difficult) to run a brush up from the pipe opening outside in the tee out about 5-6 feet off the ground ( I stand on the ground - no step or ladder) . Even with the chase around the chimney, I can feed the rod sections through the access door, thread them together, and push them upward without too much effort. Everyone needs to find their best way. So far, that is mine.

I can't say that a tee out is the best option when it comes to draft (because it isn't), but it was my only option for the location of my stove. I do find it easy (or at least not too difficult) to run a brush up from the pipe opening outside in the tee out about 5-6 feet off the ground ( I stand on the ground - no step or ladder) . Even with the chase around the chimney, I can feed the rod sections through the access door, thread them together, and push them upward without too much effort. Everyone needs to find their best way. So far, that is mine.

Can you make a tee inside the house? Use a 45 degree angle and put a tee to go up it?

So your Princess can be cleaned from the inside of the stove? The King should be the same then, correct? So you can just open the bypass, start the sooteater up the stove pipe and everything falls into the firebox - it's a straight shot?

Thanks for helping, I don't have my stoves yet but I'm trying to figure out all of the small details so I don't have to put up with the nightmare from our last house.

So your Princess can be cleaned from the inside of the stove? The King should be the same then, correct? So you can just open the bypass, start the sooteater up the stove pipe and everything falls into the firebox - it's a straight shot?

Thanks for helping, I don't have my stoves yet but I'm trying to figure out all of the small details so I don't have to put up with the nightmare from our last house.

Thats right just stuff the sooteater right up through the bypass and into the flue pipe. Now almost all of the stuff falls into the stove onto the firebox floor but a little flings out onto the roof, and some of it lands up in the cat chamber. Just a mouthful. That little bit of crumbs up behind the cat can be cleaned out by lifting the double wall pipe up off of the stove to vacuum it out or if you’re good with a vacuum you can get it all from below.

I haven’t cleaned a king model but imagine it would be even easier with a bigger pipe and firebox. The sooteater is the same size, slightly longer whips for the 8” pipe.

And I find it much easier containing the dust the way I do it. Dust? What dust, there is no dust.
Ok and I pull the pipe when needed. But in most cases it takes less work for me to just clean through most stoves including blaze Kings. Then just move the pipe over slightly so I can vacum through. Not saying what you do is wrong at all. I just find it harder in most cases to do it that way

Ok and I pull the pipe when needed. But in most cases it takes less work for me to just clean through most stoves including blaze Kings. Then just move the pipe over slightly so I can vacum through. Not saying what you do is wrong at all. I just find it harder in most cases to do it that way
And is that a reason to chose a stove?
The flue has more to do with it.

And is that a reason to chose a stove?
The flue has more to do with it.
Quite possibly for some people in some situations yes. If you have a cathedral ceiling and a steep roof cleaning it any other way can be very difficult

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Quite possibly for some people in some situations yes. If you have a cathedral ceiling and a steep roof cleaning it any other way can be very difficult
Exactly. Spot on.
Situations should dictate. Think holistic. Asthetics, form and function. Can I get at that dang thing to clean it. Is it a pain ita. Or just a little different.