Best wood cook syobe for primary heat source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Starcore

Jun 26, 2022
Kawartha Lakes, ON
We are switching from propane to weed and would like to get a cook stove as our main heat source.
Our Hine is under 1300 Sq ft abd we will have 3 back up base boards. I like the idea of a wood stove that is used for both cooking and heating but I am hesitant because I have been told cool stives can not be used at a primary heat source.
Is this true?
If not what models should I be looking at?
Thank you

We are switching from propane to weed and would like to get a cook stove as our main heat source.
Skip the stove, get a bigger bong. :) Don't ya just love spell check.

Cookstoves don't make the best full-time heat source, their fireboxes are often too small, but there are some new models with larger, 2 cu ft fireboxes that might work. There was a recent thread on J.A. Roby cookstove that has a bigger firebox. Obidiah's is a good place to discuss this question with their support people.

One thing to consider is whether the stove would be for just occasional stovetop cooking or frequent baking as well. If just stovetop then there are stoves that can do this well enough while ensuring 24/7 heating capability.

Last edited:
Me and spell check have a real love hate relationship......thank you for the information on what the best option for a weed stove would be lol. Inhave lots to learn about all this, propane is easy.....I never thought I would go wood but things are getting a little crazy out there and it's time to start making changes necessary to be as self sufficient as possible.