Best wood insert for 2000’ farm house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jghere

Oct 5, 2017
Wichita Ks.
I am trying to decide what is the best wood insert for a old farm house with a wood burning fireplace, With a 6” flue.
I am looking at the Kuma Ashwood
Or pacific Energy Summit,
Lopi Freedom,
Regency i3100
Anyone have any experience with these.

All good inserts. Of those however, the Kuma is the odd man out. It is a 2 cu ft insert vs the larger 3 cu ft inserts listed. If the goal is to heat most of the house then I'd recommend going for the 3 cu ft insert. If the fireplace room is cut off from the rest of the house and the insert will be primarily used as a room heater then 2 cu ft could be ok.

How come the PE summit puts out more Btu’s and 80% efficient and the lopi freedom same size is less btu’s and 71% efficient. They are basically the same size Salesman said PE # were bogus

Different testing methods and stats quoted. The Summit's peak btus with cordwood tested higher, but it's unlikely you would ever see this or be running either stove at that rate. Compare the EPA output instead. EPA lists the Summit - 10300-37500 btus, the Freedom - 11800-47500 btus.

Reactions: Jghere
How come the PE summit puts out more Btu’s and 80% efficient and the lopi freedom same size is less btu’s and 71% efficient. They are basically the same size Salesman said PE # were bogus

IOW the salesman was right.

Reactions: Jghere