Best wood stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJNelli

Sep 10, 2018
Hi! I have been reading many threads on here and my head is spinning with all the different brands and models to choose from.

I decided to post and ask for suggestions. I have a 2 story house and will be using an existing fireplace and chimney. (Outside wall). I am open to using an older model stove, but if new, it would have to be a lower cost model.

I am hoping to have a glass window that will stay clean, heat 1400+ sq ft (using to off set cost of running furnace), has a relatively quiet but powerful blower, has 8+ hours of burn time, and does not go through large amounts of wood/efficient/ low smoke emission.

I do not mind changing out gaskets and firebricks, even repainting, but major repairs would be difficult for me, so it would have to be low maintenance.

It would be nice if I could boil water, or even cook in a dutch oven on it. It could have the surround shield or just be a freestanding unit in the fireplace. I like both looks.

Has anyone found a gem similar to what I am looking for that they could not live without (newer or older model)?

Lopi stoves have piqued my interest but open to any.

Thank you!

Buying a used insert can dicey unless one is lucky. There are a few new inserts in the $1000 range that will get the job done. Look at inserts by Century, Drolet and Englander. You'll also need the chimney to be thoroughly cleaned first and an insulated liner installed.

Also, fully seasoned dry wood is essential to good stove performance. In your area I would have 3+ cords on hand for the winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: darktower007
No problem. That's why we're here. Feel free to ask questions and maybe start by measuring up the fireplace opening and depth to check fit.

I am partial to regency/hampton. Ease of use, maintainance and cleaning made the decision easy for me. I bought anther one when we moved into new house. Parts are readily available. As far as burn times and clean glass tjat has more to do with the wood you put in than the stove itself. As begreen said start with measurements.

If you go with a free stander it has to be a rear exhaust, jotul. Woodstock, hearthstone. Theres a couple others that escape me right now.

PE Summit is a 3.0 CuFT fire box thats square meaning you can load it North/South or East/West a Feature most people dont think about but appreciate if the have it. Plus the Bigger firebox can be loaded less if you need less heat. But have the extra capacity to have more. inserts have odd firebox spaces and sometimes not always as user friendly as one would think. Others might point you to other inserts that can be loaded North/South.

“Best” is a matter of perspective. Every stove design is a compromise, trading one trait for another, all doing the same job of converting a fixed load of potential energy (eg. 50 lb. of wood) to heat. Choose the compromise that works best for your wallet, space, and intended use.

That said, there are some bad designs out there, which should be avoided. For that, you have to consider specific models.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink