Best Zero Clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Misty

Aug 11, 2020
Arkansas
Hello New here!! Love all the advice and tips!! We are building a new house and looking for a zero clearance fireplace. So far we have looked at Apex, Elite, Kozy, NorthStar, Pioneer, and Valcourt Waterloo.

Our house is 3200 sq. feet. Where fireplace will be is 1000 sq. feet all open. Then cased opening to a bonus room of 463. sq. feet that has a small hallway off with 3 kids bedrooms. Our master is off living room so that isn't a problem to heat.

Couple of questions we are trying to figure out:
1. Does Elite Pose Pressure really heat whole house. Meaning bedrooms across the house (76 feet away from fireplace). Do you find it brings in hot air in summer when not in use. We live in Arkansas and it gets hot and humid.
2. Kozy is cheaper but will it heat the whole house and is quality good?
3. Which Zero Clearance would you recommend?
4. Also see comments about Cat vs. not can someone explain pros and cons?
5. Welcome any comments about any of the units or any other recommendations!

I have a Constitution(in profile pic)that is literally identical to the Northstar...same mfg makes both....bought used...original owners didn't like it...burning "wet" wood.
My upper floor is 3200 Sq ft with 22 ft cathedral ceilings...this thing heats the entire floor with some strategically placed fans. Biggest key is 20% or less moisture in wood....full stop on that for sure.

I have the Northstar in my house of roughly the same size ~3300sq ft. and 21 foot ceilings. I have a backup gas furnace that rarely gets use unless the temperature is warmer than 40 degrees out. As someone else stated, dry wood is important. I season mine for two years or have issues with creosote buildup in the chimney cap. The fireplace easily keeps my house in the mid 70s even when the temperature is single digits.

Parts for the Northstar are expensive. About to spend $600+ on a new blower and set of firebricks. It's been installed for 7-8 years and this is the first maintenance for it aside from cleaning.

Heating rooms away from the vaulted ceiling area, I use fans to blow the cold air towards the fireplace.

I have the air duct add on that vents to my basement and it's a complete waste of money.

Your basement will be cold though. I have a pellet stove and baseboard heat in mine.

My house is well insulated with SIP construction but I only use about 5 cords of wood a year in Central PA.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions.