Better Insert slip joint gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRP3

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2007
NYS
After cleaning my chimney I didn't get much creosote falling into the fire box and realized I needed to pull the insert. Slip joint to SS lining had cement on the joints which broke apart when removing, I'm wondering if there is some better way to do it other than cementing it each time. It kind of looks like the rear section attached to the liner has been squashed a bit, as if the liner pushed down on it, but the liner seems solid and doesn't want to move.

thumbnail

thumbnail

I also wonder if there is a better slip joint design that allows easier cleaning without taking it apart, like maybe a lift up or slide sideways door on the front section? I guess I could make one but I'd rather not bother.

After cleaning my chimney I didn't get much creosote falling into the fire box and realized I needed to pull the insert. Slip joint to SS lining had cement on the joints which broke apart when removing, I'm wondering if there is some better way to do it other than cementing it each time. It kind of looks like the rear section attached to the liner has been squashed a bit, as if the liner pushed down on it, but the liner seems solid and doesn't want to move.

thumbnail

thumbnail

I also wonder if there is a better slip joint design that allows easier cleaning without taking it apart, like maybe a lift up or slide sideways door on the front section? I guess I could make one but I'd rather not bother.
Your pics didn't load. What insert is this for? Why did you have to pull the insert to clean?

Also, it is my understanding that for properly fitting (same brand) parts (with 3 screws per joint), one does not need any cement. Is it "air tight"? No. But it'll suck air in, not spew smoke out - that is the draft, the engine that runs the stove/insert.

Reactions: PaulOinMA and JRP3
Your pics didn't load. What insert is this for? Why did you have to pull the insert to clean?
It's an old Earth Stove BV, after cleaning the chimney it still wouldn't draft so I figured it was plugged. It looks as if the liner was installed too low and it distorted the rear section of the slip joint and they put in some cement to fill the gap. I'm trying to get it off the liner, cut the liner a bit shorter so it sits properly. Trying the pics again.

Stove Joint1.jpg Stove Joint2.jpg

I straightened out the slip joint as much as possible an slid it higher up the SS liner pipe. The pipe isn't quite vertical so doesn't line up perfectly, larger gap up front, I was thinking of getting some door gasket material to place around the pipe and under the front of the slip joint on top of the stove where there is a gap.

Stove Pipe2.jpg Slip joint gap.jpg

hm, yes, that gap is rather big.
I'm not sure what to advice. The "don't complain and fix it"-person in me responds positively to the gasket idea (though it'll be hard to get that in nice and tight...).
I'm not sure what the safety implications are; IF you have a fairly big gap, you will cool down your flue considerably (colder air sucked in there). Also, at the end of a burn, when things cool down and draft decreases, what is the risk of CO coming out there?

A big steel box does not easily get dangerous, even with a fire in it. The flue system on the other hand... When @bholler has time, I presume he'll have useful things to say.

Would you have enough room to put a T on the bottom of the liner and then the snout and an Elbow to connect to the stove? You can cut the snout to the length you need.
rigid-chimney-pipe-tee.jpg

I really don't know what to say it is a very sloppy and poorly fitting install. I honestly would take all of those adapters etc out and start over.

I really don't know what to say it is a very sloppy and poorly fitting install. I honestly would take all of those adapters etc out and start over.
Understood but the problem is really the angle that the liner comes out of the chimney and it doesn't seem to want to move. I think the liner should have come out about 1 inch closer to the front so it could drop in straight and not lift up the front of the adapter. Maybe I'll try harder to force it into position.

Understood but the problem is really the angle that the liner comes out of the chimney and it doesn't seem to want to move. I think the liner should have come out about 1 inch closer to the front so it could drop in straight and not lift up the front of the adapter. Maybe I'll try harder to force it into position.
You may have to clear things out of the way so you can bring the liner forward and hook it up properly. Some inserts take allot of work to make things line up properly

I'm hoping it's the sheet metal around the liner sealing off the top of the fireplace firebox that's keeping the liner from coming forward. I'll try and trim around the front of the liner and see if it will free it.

How flexible is the liner? I realize if I can bring it forward I'll also need to bend it a bit to make it more vertical since moving it will increase the angle even more, I assume there is some flex in it.

I trimmed the sheet metal which allowed me to pull the liner forward to line up with the stove better but I couldn't get it to bend at all. So I jammed the rope gasket which was originally in the front of the pipe back in place and made a small bracket which keeps the front of the slip joint in place tight to the top of the stove. I'll add some gasket to the front edge of the slip joint on the stove where there is still a little space. It's better than it was and it's lasted 20+ years so I'm thinking it should be ok. I'll do some testing before I put the insert fascia back in place.

Stove Joint3.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker