Bidding on firewood in RI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carefull bidding on contracts like that unless you are a business who can handle 130 cords.

I know it says "homeowners" in the legal ad. But it does not say how many cords you are expected to pay for, cut and remove at each of the sites. Each site requiring a different bid. And you are only removing monster trees "2-6 cord trees will be marked for removal"

I wish. I'm a simple man with a little saw who just got into this crazy world of wood a few months ago. Sounds outta my league.

Ssh- you'll create competition!

Dan- read carefully- that's over 40 lots- each with a few cord. There's usually a clause that you cannot resell the wood. You bid on a lot and are typically only allowed one lot (a few cord). You remove marked trees and what you do not remove reverts back to the town or state after a specified period... at least that's how it works where I am bidding (not RI, same name for the program- same costs etc).

It's not 2-6 cord single trees- they mean 2-6 cord of trees per lot- not a single 2-6 cord tree (think about that- it would be one tree per lot!).

Here is the quote: "In each lot, trees with two to six cords of fuel wood will be marked for cutting, utilizing selective harvesting practices."

They are going for improvement here- leaving big trees, marking out leaners and crowded ones (yes- I think the language could be clearer). I went and inspected lots recently and most of the marked trees were the obvious ones.

AP, are you doing this in NH? If so, where do you find out about it? Sorry to create competition for you.

Nope- they don't have a program. They do have a commercial firewood bid process I think- I don't know how small those lots get, and they seem to only be on particular projects.

Some states only open the program to residents, and others charge you a LOT more to make each lot bid.

Sounds like you bid on just the cords you want and can be more than one winner

I would bid for the Arcadia wood but it's during hunting season!!! :mad: Now if it's available in the spring, then I'd be interested. :coolsmirk:

Arcadia is right in your backyard. The way I understand the program is you bid on a small lot that has trees marked for cutting so you can see what your up against before you bid on the lot. I thought about doing it a GW management area but will be too busy chasing bambi come October...

Anyone have a link to the CT firewood bidding?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Josh,

I will look into it. I don't mind the work, helps keep me in shape.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.