Big cold air draw from the heated space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleatus

Jun 5, 2008
n central ma
Any ideas on what baffles me just now I would appreciate greatly; Last year I installed a small steel cfm 242e windowed box stove and have tried to chase down the cold draft it pulls particularly when the magic heat appliance on it amplifies this issue.

It of course stratifies by pushing heated air into the house and a return of decidedly almost always very cold air rushes at it below knee level. Now Ive tracked it with a smudge stick of sage into a couple mysterious dead end locations, bathroom naturally pipes a likley culprit and elsewhere it eludes me..
My smarter friend last night tells me this air would not be drawn so intensley into the house were I to attatch a vent to the stove and channel the cold air from a dedicated outside source piped idirectly into the appliance.
The idea is that the stove draw is pulling at cracks and crevices and so exacerbating the leaks and chilling several areas of the house where ever cracks exist.

Does this aspect have pesident in woodstove home heating? and if so where am I likley to find answers on how to engineer such a vent? Note' cfm has all but closed its doors after gobbling up VC and dutch several years ago so I do not think they are a resourse,
this stove bought last year from ace hardware is not found when searching the cfm site!

I am not familiar with this model, but find out (manual or otherwise) if it OAK capable. OAK = Outside Air Kit

Some of what you are experiencing is completely normal just because of the nature of the beast. Surrounding air gets heated and rises. Stove draws in combustion air at floor height (normally colder) and bingo, there is your "cold draft". An OAK can minimize this but will not eliminate it. You will still have the hot air that rises being replaced with cooler air at the stove from floor level.

Status
Not open for further replies.