Big Heat pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

panolo

Nov 20, 2014
MN
These pellets were the Menards cheap brand this year and after a 5 bag test I bought 5 tons. I have now burnt through 3 tons. I heat a couple thousand square feet with 2 Englander stoves. Try to keep my rooms temp in 70-72 range.

First 1.5 tons burnt really nice. Plenty of heat. Stoves never went above 3 feed rate. Medium ash but a tich heavy on the fines side. Pellets were average to just below on the length side. Second 1.5 ton I noticed a slight issue as I would get some bags with longer pellets and little lighter color. The lighter color I was hoping meant that there were more softwood in the mixture. I experienced lower temps and pellets that would get sticky in the augers causing the auger to squeal at times. I had to adjust from a feed setting of 2 to 5 just to keep the same heat output. My burn times were the same so that tells me the feed rate was to compensate for the longer pellets. Fines and ash were about the same.

With the 120# hoppers it is a slight pain in the tail to get 3 of the same size pellets in the hopper so you don't have to tinker with the burn rate all the time.

All in all for $199 a ton they are better than Indecks and Marth hardwood. If the last two tons are mixed like the last 1.5 were I would probably spend the extra $40-$50/Ton to get the Marth softwood, which is a hotter pellet.

the Big Heats i burned last year were very small pellets, fines and dust were minimal, but they filled my burned pot with ash, The certainly did burn hot though. I'd spent the extra cash on a better pellet next time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.