Big Lilly wood stove clearance questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnnyO

Nov 6, 2017
Hello all
I am new to all of this and need some help
I bought a big Lilly and I guess I didn't realize how much room around it was needed . I called Lilly and talked to a guy who told me that 36" was needed all around . And my question is what can I do to limit some of the space needed with out burning down my house . I just built it myself .. I've got 1/2 durarock on the back wall over top of 5/8 type x fire drywall . And my clearance is 32" now and I guess I'm wanting to know what else I can do to get that closer and especially on the side walls ( when I build them ) trying to figure out how much space is needed before building them . Thank you all in advance

You need a ventilated wall shield that is a sheet of non combustible material spaced off any combustible with noncombustible spacers at least 1" with a 1" gap top and bottom to allow for air flow. This will give you a 2/3 reduction in clearances bringing it down to 12"

You need a ventilated wall shield that is a sheet of non combustible material spaced off any combustible with noncombustible spacers at least 1" with a 1" gap top and bottom to allow for air flow. This will give you a 2/3 reduction in clearances bringing it down to 12"
Thank you . So if I went with ceramic 1" spacers then another layer of durarock and slate tile that would get me down to 12" ?

Thank you . So if I went with ceramic 1" spacers then another layer of durarock and slate tile that would get me down to 12" ?
Yes