Big pellet stove problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pt0872

Oct 8, 2006
Carver, Mass
We have a Whitfield prodigy pellet stove that we've been using for about 6 months and everything has been great so far.

Recently we bought a ton of Corinth pellets...guy at the store recommended them. They seem to work good as they dont darken the glass as quickly as the lowes brand.

I keep the pellets in my shed but it's been raining alot here lately and the air has been pretty damp.

The other night the wife got up and shut the stove down....a horrible smell was going thru the house, like smokey, the glass was completely black and she thought the stove was going to catch on fire.

I clean this stove regularly but when I cleaned it after this problem the soot was very thick and covered the entire inside of the stove.

Would moisture of the pellets cause this problem or is there something else major going on?

Depending on the year of your stove the Prodogy had just one blower for both combstion and conctions
the Later models had a booster blower in line the the Flue out let at the top of the stove
the last year that stove was made was 1994

Could be the Combustion/convection blower is dirty and needs to be cleaned or replace
Or
If you have th booster blower that has stopped working.
OEM booster blowers are no longer available.

Do a complete cleaning
Clean the blower and the flue and all ash traps

The Prod II has a Cast iron Cap that you can remove to clean and inspect the booster blower
you have to remove the top of the stove

If this aplies to your stove
Pull the top off the stove and remove the Cast iron heat exchange cover and clean in that area.
If you a have the booster blower it is located in this area

make sure your ash pan and door are sealing good.

Status
Not open for further replies.