Big Time Score! - Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
So after 12 years of scrounging and rushing around with my truck to get wood before the normal people get out of work, I stumbled across a tree company cutting down some large Maples. Not only does this guy offer me the wood, he bucks the logs into the size I want and helps me load them into my truck. I got 3 truck loads on the one tree. He has 4 more huge trees to do in that yard alone and several other projects in the neighborhoods. He says he gives away 40 to 50 cord per year. The best part for me is, there's going to be so much wood, I can finally afford to be picky and not take anything with two heads or knots. Yey!

As for the ID, I know it's Maple. Is Silver the right guess? This tree was dead for 3 years before they took it down. If I split it right away, can I burn it later in the winter if I'm running low?

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 322
I don't see maple...the big stuff anyway.....great grab though!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: I don't know much yet as a first year stover (started in Feb).

I'm seeing two or three species. The smooth bark has a darker interior. Looks like our Maples here at home.
Maple trunks have larger peels on the trunks but many limbs are smooth. 3rd from left upright 3 footer is
maple surely (the one with the moss). I dunno the subspecies.
The rougher bark looks my standard scrounge, ash.

If it's dry right when you open up a round it's ready to burn. That dead pre-seasoned scrounge saved our butts
and wallet last winter and also now as my oak is still smelling very strong.

Most excellent hit, btw ! ! !

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Last edited:
That's actually music to my ears if that's ash and not Maple. I am a bit low on wood this year. To know I might have some reserve wood is a nice feeling. I'm going to try and get it all split in the next few days. Hopefully it's as dry as advertised. There's a few pieces of cherry in there that are super heave in comparison, I'm crossing my fingers.

From the pic it looks like ash and maple. C/S/S the ash right away and it might be ready at the end of burn season. The maple might need to wait a year. If its been dead, it might be good, test it 1st.

Sweet deal:cool:

I see ash and some kind of maple but I wouldn't say silver. Nice job!

fv

Don't get to picky . He may stop giving you wood
if you are just taking the best parts !!!

That's actually music to my ears if that's ash and not Maple. I am a bit low on wood this year. To know I might have some reserve wood is a nice feeling. I'm going to try and get it all split in the next few days. Hopefully it's as dry as advertised. There's a few pieces of cherry in there that are super heave in comparison, I'm crossing my fingers.
Definitely some ash, as I see EAB holes same as in my 10 months old seasoned stash.

So after 12 years of scrounging and rushing around with my truck to get wood before the normal people get out of work, I stumbled across a tree company cutting down some large Maples. Not only does this guy offer me the wood, he bucks the logs into the size I want and helps me load them into my truck. I got 3 truck loads on the one tree. He has 4 more huge trees to do in that yard alone and several other projects in the neighborhoods. He says he gives away 40 to 50 cord per year. The best part for me is, there's going to be so much wood, I can finally afford to be picky and not take anything with two heads or knots. Yey!

As for the ID, I know it's Maple. Is Silver the right guess? This tree was dead for 3 years before they took it down. If I split it right away, can I burn it later in the winter if I'm running low?
I'm seeing ash and possibly black birch either way it's nice clean fodder.

I put a good dent in the pile today and split about half of it. The stuff was flying apart, so it's definitely Ash. I didn't realize Ash was such a grainy wood. It looks like oak, just nowhere near as heavy.

Attachments

• splits.jpg
    splits.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 142
Well I'll have to go against the grain, but pretty sure the split stuff isn't ash, bark is similar but wrong. Yiu can see from the smaller rounds the decrease in fissure and it just doesn't match what ash does. Got an okay grain, and bark, but without an end shot can't say for sure. The orange ended rounds look like beech to me.

Same ash I get in northern Ct. The darker wood is Black Birch. Great score!

Status
Not open for further replies.