Big White Oak. A piece of history down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
Flatbedford said:
If only you had a Fiskars.... :)

I had a thought of taking a swing at one of these, just for giggles. Then I thought again.

I know it can be done - hell I did it for years, but I got older and hopefully wiser. I think a half gallon of Dino wine and a screaming chain with teeth on it will make short work of these big rounds.

red oak its even heavy when its down to the small splits my back is hurting looking at it!

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Flatbedford said:

I had a thought of taking a swing at one of these, just for giggles. Then I thought again.

I know it can be done - hell I did it for years, but I got older and hopefully wiser. I think a half gallon of Dino wine and a screaming chain with teeth on it will make short work of these big rounds.

red oak its even heavy when its down to the small splits my back is hurting looking at it!

This here be the white stuff. Its even heavier than the red stuff.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Flatbedford said:

This here be the white stuff. Its even heavier than the red stuff.

lol my back just snaped!

Holy crap!
Would love to see some pics of the other big ones if you can.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
How big does it measure across?

Have not put a tape to it yet. I would estimate about 40" dbh.

Oh and them pro mac's are still the @hit! the one I done I noddle about 1/3 down and sledge and wedge pop them pretty easy...

Noodling doesn't take long. I think that is the treatment its gonna get. :coolgrin:

This works faster than noodling and i do it from the cab.

Attachments

• mar18-10 003.jpg
    mar18-10 003.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 222
leaddog said:

Did you see the dude's yard? With the current rain he wouldn't let a bobcat in there for nothin'. Its a darn good thing its close to the road too. He doesn't want my truck and trailer in his yard. We haul the logs with a JD 930 with a box on the front of it. It actually works quite nice, cuz it does all the lifting, I just push it out of the box and into the trailer.

hareball said:
Holy crap!

They are really a site to see when they are all leaf'ed out. HUGE canopy.

I got to run a 125 a few weekends back. What a blast!

attachment.php

Yeah, those old Pro Macs knew how to Get-R-Done. The first thing I noticed after being used to my 361 is the difference in RPM and the tone. Its like comparing a 1100 cc crotch rocket to a big block V8.

hareball said:
Holy crap!

That's what she said.

Is it true your grandmother is 106 years old? That's more impressive than how old the tree was. ;-)

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
Is it true your grandmother is 106 years old? That's more impressive than how old the tree was. ;-)

Shipper

Unfortunately not. She only made it to 98, but her sister made it to 104.

Jags said:
leaddog said:

Did you see the dude's yard? With the current rain he wouldn't let a bobcat in there for nothin'. Its a darn good thing its close to the road too. He doesn't want my truck and trailer in his yard. We haul the logs with a JD 930 with a box on the front of it. It actually works quite nice, cuz it does all the lifting, I just push it out of the box and into the trailer.

Know what you mean with the lawn but with tracks it just twists the grass alittle as long as you don't do tight turns. A smaller one would be better but it's the smallest I've got.
leaddog

Attachments

• mar18-10 004.jpg
    mar18-10 004.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 196
Well, I quartered up a trailer load last night. Its still in the trailer (I will try to get a pic). In about an hour or a little more, I took the giant rounds and noodled them up and got them loaded. I was still estimating 100-150 pounds per quarter. Them suckers were heavy.

On a side note: had a little fun on the way home with the trailer. Yep - popped a rear brake line. Thank goodness I was driving fairly slow and it is very rural. Who says you need brakes anyways. :coolsmirk:

Jags said:
Well, I quartered up a trailer load last night. Its still in the trailer (I will try to get a pic). In about an hour or a little more, I took the giant rounds and noodled them up and got them loaded. I was still estimating 100-150 pounds per quarter. Them suckers were heavy.

On a side note: had a little fun on the way home with the trailer. Yep - popped a rear brake line. Thank goodness I was driving fairly slow and it is very rural. Who says you need brakes anyways. :coolsmirk:

yep at 100-150 pounds a 1/4 no problem! lol

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

And PILES of noodles. :cheese:

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

only way that can get any better is have a couple loaders with you! lol and I still have to help load.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

only way that can get any better is have a couple loaders with you! lol and I still have to help load.

Yeah - thank gawd we had the assistance of the 930 and its hydraulics.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

better yet! sweet I know I would have blown my back out on them...

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags" date="1270663711 said:

better yet! sweet I know I would have blown my back out on them...

Standing the 400+ pound rounds up on edge was all I wanted, thats for sure.

I guess the ground shook when that hit.

Wow, I bet you get a little over 2 cords from that biggin.

Todd said:
Wow, I bet you get a little over 2 cords from that biggin.

I am estimating closer to 3. That thing has a couple of branches as big as a tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.