Biggest, meanest,most btu output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I heat my 2500sq’ log cabin with 0 issues with a VC, vigilant, the stove is less an issue than chinking. If you have already been filling gaps with caulk it may be too late but i use 3/4” foam backer rod, I can buy it in bulk from many sources, i do it inside and out. If i use CWF oil base I have to go around the outside again, take a hammer and a good
Stiff putty knife and a caulking iron and go to town. It’s easy, its not unpleasant and it makes a huge huge difference, only drafts in the house are from the darn sliding doors.

They weigh about the same. In fact, I think the drolet might be a bit heavier. The jaroby is 1/4 steel everywhere I think. The ht3000 has a 5/16 top...

I compared the drolet to the jaroby stoves a few years ago and I got the opposite impression. But not by a bunch.

But overall, I'd say quality is similar. I will reconsider a jaroby in my next life...
I would double verify the Ultimate having 1/4” steel all around. It has a 4.7 cu ft firebox and weighs 500 lbs.

As a comparison Lopi Liberty has 3/16” stove body with a 5/16” top, supposedly 3.6 cu ft firebox and a weight of 570.

One has a bigger firebox but weighs less.
One of those companies the specs don’t add up to me.

The Roby if all 1/4” steel should weigh far more. Actually, even if has a 3/16” steel body like the Lopi does then the Roby having a bigger firebox should weigh more than advertised. After seeing Lopi brochures as well looking at many of them in person as well as watching factory build videos on YouTube I’m 100% confident in their specs being correct.

Most of those SBI stoves have a 5/16” top. I’d say their specs are spot on as well.

Also, I know that insurance companies are at play here. My wife is an agent of several companies, so I fully understand that aspect of it. I will add that in the US there over 6000 insurance companies. I realize there may be an issue in Canada changing companies so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Here in the US we don’t have that problem. If my wife doesn’t have a company to take us and NOT dictate to us then we’ll absolutely go out of her companies to find coverage. We have before, but it generally isn’t needed for many of her companies.

Now let’s see how many haters come out of the wood work. Wink, wink…

Hitzer 82 has plenty of wood burners claiming the 82 does extremely well burning wood and is a heat monster according to some users on another forum. It’s not pretty, but heat seems to be the main concern here.

I’ve been in Amish homes using Hitzer 55/82 with wood and the homes were huge and the stoves absolutely cranking the heat out.

For looks I tend to favor Lopi, Regency, as well as Roby and SBI designs as well as soapstone stoves.

Then there’s the DS Energymax 110/160 … (750 lbs. & 1050 lbs. respectively) … both of which have customers loving them for both anthracite coal and wood. Several people on YouTube showcasing their DS 160’s with wood and thoroughly pleased. I admit they’re not good lookers, but they are heat monsters.

These may or may not be csa certified, but installing myself the inspector would see the HT-3000 and approve it and before he could get down the driveway a heat monster would be installed. LOL!

There’s no shortage of Amish stove love here. LOL! Wink, wink…

Reactions: AlexandreG
Also, I know that insurance companies are at play here. My wife is an agent of several companies, so I fully understand that aspect of it. I will add that in the US there over 6000 insurance companies. I realize there may be an issue in Canada changing companies so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Here in the US we don’t have that problem. If my wife doesn’t have a company to take us and NOT dictate to us then we’ll absolutely go out of her companies to find coverage. We have before, but it generally isn’t needed for many of her companies.

Now let’s see how many haters come out of the wood work. Wink, wink…

Hitzer 82 has plenty of wood burners claiming the 82 does extremely well burning wood and is a heat monster according to some users on another forum. It’s not pretty, but heat seems to be the main concern here.

I’ve been in Amish homes using Hitzer 55/82 with wood and the homes were huge and the stoves absolutely cranking the heat out.

For looks I tend to favor Lopi, Regency, as well as Roby and SBI designs as well as soapstone stoves.

Then there’s the DS Energymax 110/160 … (750 lbs. & 1050 lbs. respectively) … both of which have customers loving them for both anthracite coal and wood. Several people on YouTube showcasing their DS 160’s with wood and thoroughly pleased. I admit they’re not good lookers, but they are heat monsters.

These may or may not be csa certified, but installing myself the inspector would see the HT-3000 and approve it and before he could get down the driveway a heat monster would be installed. LOL!

There’s no shortage of Amish stove love here. LOL! Wink, wink…
Hitzlers are absolutely fantastic coal stoves without question but pretty crappy wood stoves.

I work on lots of ds stoves and they simply don't hold up when pushed hard. They are made very well but the engineering is severely lacking.

Me personally, I would go get a big monster steel Fisher, All Nighter, Frontier, etc etc from marketplace or craigslist and stuff it in. If the urgency is a failed heating system, a big steel stove full of fire brick is much much safer than LP and electric space heaters all over the place. Even if you need to revisit the subject in the spring you won’t be out much.

Me personally, I would go get a big monster steel Fisher, All Nighter, Frontier, etc etc from marketplace or craigslist and stuff it in. If the urgency is a failed heating system, a big steel stove full of fire brick is much much safer than LP and electric space heaters all over the place. Even if you need to revisit the subject in the spring you won’t be out much.
That is why I asked about what exactly they were requiring. It doesn't sound like it's an option in.this case

I got missing parts on the vortex pipe i ordered from sbi, it was treated like a warranty thing, needing me to fill out tons of paperwork to get them to send me back the part. People over the phone where not interested in helping whatsoever. I felt treated like a number, remembering me when i was in the army going through admin paperwork or pre-deployment checklist...."usine a saucisse"

Dang, I had settled on an Osburn and about to order, but geez. I don't want that treatment if I need service.

I've never had better after sale treatment anywhere than what I have had from Drolet.

No paperwork required...

I've never had better after sale treatment anywhere than what I have had from Drolet.

No paperwork required...
Maybe they don't like my french accent and rather make me fill up form then talk to me!

Oh wait no, they are french too....got unlucky and add to fill up warranty claims to get my missing parts on what i just bought, but the lady i talked to was exceptionally unfriendly, maybe it is a her thing not the whole company , i do agree it may not be like this every time. (Happened last fall)

It has a 4.7 cu ft firebox and weighs 500 lbs.
There is a big difference between advertised and usable firebox sizing. Some companies report the actual usable firebox size and other report the entire firebox size, above and below the baffle. Caveat emptor. This stove does not have 4.7 cu ft usable volume. It's more like 3.6 or so depending on how one accounts the sloped front of the firebox in loading. Some of the better EPA testing reports now take this into account. SBI has started reporting usable volume which is welcome.

Reactions: Hoytman
Good information that I was aware of.

That’s why I said in my post above, “One has a bigger firebox but weighs less.
One of those companies the specs don’t add up to me.”

If one has an actual bigger firebox and weighs less, it has to give something up to be lighter weight, that or some of the numbers are off in advertising which is often the case. It’s not that hard to look at specs and see something isn’t right.

Reactions: bholler
Here’s my post again.

I would double verify the Ultimate having 1/4” steel all around. It has a 4.7 cu ft firebox and weighs 500 lbs.

As a comparison Lopi Liberty has 3/16” stove body with a 5/16” top, supposedly 3.6 cu ft firebox and a weight of 570.

One has a bigger firebox but weighs less.
One of those companies the specs don’t add up to me.

The Roby if all 1/4” steel should weigh far more. Actually, even if has a 3/16” steel body like the Lopi does then the Roby having a bigger firebox should weigh more than advertised. After seeing Lopi brochures as well looking at many of them in person as well as watching factory build videos on YouTube I’m 100% confident in their specs being correct.

Most of those SBI stoves have a 5/16” top. I’d say their specs are spot on as well.

For what it is of the weight, Ultimate is heavier, no doubt. 500lbs

Ht-3000 SHIPPING weight 500lbs.... including the skid and crating box, which i was pleased by the quality when i hauled it on 300km in a snow storm last year. I lifted and carried by hand (with a friend obviously) the ht, it aint 500lbs. They play the numbers for the firebox, they do the same for the weight to induce some impressions to the buyer, it tells a lot about the company. I got missing parts on the vortex pipe i ordered from sbi, it was treated like a warranty thing, needing me to fill out tons of paperwork to get them to send me back the part. People over the phone where not interested in helping whatsoever. I felt treated like a number, remembering me when i was in the army going through admin paperwork or pre-deployment checklist...."usine a saucisse"

I literally lifted both of them yesterday, i do not doubt, ultimate is heavier.
Can you get those in the states? what is the maximum burn time in let's say 0 to 20 degrees,THX

if i'm not careful with wood use,i can finish a face cord pretty fast.4 7 or 8"splits on the bottom 3 7 or 8" east west in the back of stove, another 4 splits on top all 16"

roughly,the stove can be packed with some pounds .i'm not a tetris type person, don't try to jam it to often loose packing is my thing.gives of enough heat half full,can reach 23c to 25c on half load 4hr burn?.old stone house no insulation

Steel, tube stove with a big box.
ya,nothing fancy but it heats like a champ

Not much efficiency there is that an accurate guesstimate? THX
those are split size and pieces .not burn times

on a full load,what kind of wood no idea about 12hrs actual heat not just coals.wish i had some oak

Not much efficiency there is that an accurate guesstimate? THX
That says absolutely nothing about efficiency you can burn through tons of wood really fast but efficiently. Or really slow and inefficiently. Or any combination in between. Burn time isn't linked to efficiency at all

Reactions: BobcatBranch
i find as i go along on the site,the plain janes seem to have less problems .just my observation.or maybe more people buy the higher end stoves so more chance of complaints?

i find as i go along on the site,the plain janes seem to have less problems .just my observation.or maybe more people buy the higher end stoves so more chance of complaints?
The X factor is user error/understanding with complicated stoves, I would imagine.

The X factor is user error/understanding with complicated stoves, I would imagine.
That depends on the stove. Some higher end stoves are extremely durable and easy to run others are not. Same with cheap ones honestly