Biggest Oak I’ve Ever Cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice score!!!
gotta love da big oak rounds :coolsmile:

Attachments

• oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 698
Mine was about 32" red oak and fell the exact wrong way. Once down, it made me run the 28" bar down the backside before I could run it over the top and cut down the front. I couldn't move any of these once they hit the ground. Had to split them right there. It was def. a lot of work. Pretty good wood, but at some point wood is a bit easier at a smaller diameter.
Chad

Put a shorter bar on the the big saw and go to noodling. That is some of the easiest splitting available. Get them down to quarters with the saw then the maul and wedges will be much easier.

Not being funny but that is a very very small oak compared to the ones I have growing near me in the uk...just cut down an oak that was dead and about 300 yeras old which was at least 4 times the size of that base....we grow big oaks over here.

Neil said:
Not being funny but that is a very very small oak compared to the ones I have growing near me in the uk...just cut down an oak that was dead and about 300 yeras old which was at least 4 times the size of that base....we grow big oaks over here.
No, my wood is bigger than yours!

Just kidding 300 years is crazy. I just got some 108 year old ash and that was really hard to handle. 300 is nuts.

Pagey,
How did he cut that down with that saw safely? If you can't cut half way through a tree, it will go screwey on you at some point. Nice tree, but I would have used a different saw.

chad3 said:
Pagey,
How did he cut that down with that saw safely? If you can't cut half way through a tree, it will go screwey on you at some point. Nice tree, but I would have used a different saw.

I'm not sure which saw was used, but he and his brother have several different saws/bars.

Neil said:
WoodButcher80 said:
hey Neil , what kind of oak are we talking about?!?!? thats a bigg'un

Take your lunch with you when you start to walk around some of the oaks around me...
20080515-P5150100.jpg

That ain't nothin'.

Here in the USA, we got you beat. ;-P

Attachments

• tree car.jpg
    tree car.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 654
cannonballcobb said:
Neil said:
WoodButcher80 said:

Take your lunch with you when you start to walk around some of the oaks around me...
20080515-P5150100.jpg

That ain't nothin'.

You measure the bar in feet, not inches, for cuttin' that sucker down!

:)

Spikem said:
cannonballcobb said:
Neil said:
WoodButcher80 said:

20080515-P5150100.jpg

That ain't nothin'.

You measure the bar in feet, not inches, for cuttin' that sucker down!

:)

Yea but we will all know who cuts that tree. Their picture will be in every post office till they are nabbed and the before and after pics. After the boyscout BB gun Fireing squad gets done with them. :)

Here's one right out our back door, It's a four banger with the three front trunks measuring ~ 30" The rearmost is ~ 48" . It's a monster I'd guesstimate about 7 to 8 ft diameter. Pictures truly don't do it justice. No I haven't cut it, and hope I'm gone when the day comes. I wonder how many tons that brute weighs.

Attachments

• DSC02002.JPG
    DSC02002.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC01961.JPG
    DSC01961.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 334
Status
Not open for further replies.