Biggest Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wooduser

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2018
seattle, wa
The biggest wood stove I ever became acquainted with provided some substantial part of the heat for the Sahalie Ski Club in the Cascade Mountains 50 miles east of Seattle during the 1950s and 1960s and into the 1970s.

The ski club lodge was 14,500 square feet in four stories, providing dormitory space for more than a hundred skiers on weekends.

http://www.sahalie.org/images/photospublic/LodgeFire.jpg

The wood stove I was acquainted with was a cylinder, perhaps twelve feet long and four feet in diameter that was on the main floor of the lodge which also included a large wood fired stove that cooked the meals for all those folks as well.

Four foot splits ---even whole logs from the club property were fed into the stove.

It was surrounded by a wire screen, both to keep the unwary from being burned and which provided a place to hang up wet ski clothing to dry pretty rapidly fro the radiant heat.

Wish I had a picture of it! It really should have been included as a member in the history of the club!

The Sahalie Ski Club dated from the 1930s, with the orginal lodge built in the late 1930s, with it's own water and power generating station. It was unfortunately burned down in 1943, caused by an electrical fire, and rebuilt in the late 1940s.

More information on this ski club, a product of lots of volunteers and private members, can be found by googling "Sahalie Ski Club" There are several more pictures of the lodge, including the lodge as it appears today, which was different from when the wood stove and I were at the club in the 1950s and 1960s. The Club's website, which includes history and photographs of the interior of the lodge today can be found at http://www.sahalie.org/chair2/PhotosPublic.aspx

Pictures of the current lodge show the nice masonry fireplace that replaced the old wood stove.

Fond childhood memories for me.

Last edited: