Bio power pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

In the shop

Oct 24, 2017
London, Ontario
Hi all, has anyone used or even heard of Bio power pellets , white bag with green logo. My local Canadian tire has started carrying them instead of the canawick ones I have been burning last 2 years.

I just picked up a few bags of these to try them out. They come from a factory in the Rainy River District of western Ontario. They're hardwood, but the timber industry in the area supplies pulpwood, so we're not talking about oak or other high-btu hardwood species here. The pellets look relatively light in color, and the bags are clear, so I can see that they don't contain a lot of fines. I will run my test batch and report back.

These are pretty good pellets. I've gone through seven or eight bags, and they produce good heat and have minimal fines and dust. They have kind of a waxy feel and a resin smell, although I wouldn't call it piney.

Ash residue seems pretty low, although I just emptied my ash pan so I may reassess that later.

The most impressive thing is the speed with which they ignite. Very quick kindling point with little smoke beforehand.

My TSC has these for $204.50/ton. Hard to beat that.