Biomass Stove Horizontal Exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianj42

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Bu
Hi All

I have a Biomass stove in the basement of my house which feeds 14 radiators. It is currently exhausting fumes into a standard chimney stack.

The problem is that I wanted to move the boiler upstairs to make it more accessible and actually better performance due to the lack of pumping height.

The problem has always been that I don'y have a chimney near the upstairs location and don't want to go to the expense of 7 metres of twin wall flue. The other possibility was a horizontal flue, but I have never found information on the possibility and my supplier says it can't be done (nothing to do with the location or house, but you can't do horizontal on Biomass).

Then today, I found this company http://www.metal-fabinc.com which in their Biomass section show 2 horizontal situations, one of which is a short flue straight out of the building.

My question is. Is this ok ? If so, it will solve my problem and I can move the boiler.

Thanks

B

Why don't you call their customer service number, and ask to talk to a tech....explain the situation, and see what they say.

mac is right , while some biomass units sanction a horizontal exhaust some do not, find out from the manufacturer if they consider it an acceptible install (meaning they tested and approved it ) before jumping in with both feet.

Hi Guys. I've emailed their technical people and waiting for a reply. I can't see why it can't be done as there is very little emissions from the boiler, as in Biomass in general. Slight problems as we live in a log cabin and we get an average of 1mtr snow dumps in winter, but I'm sure I can build a little roof for the outlet.

I'll let you know what they say

Cheers

B

Hi Guys

Thought I would bring you up todate.

I contacted the flue technical services who were very helpful, very informative and very professional. They said it was up to the pellet stove manufacturer so I should ask them......It was one of those, "ah that makes sense" moments in my life.

The pellet manufacturer, who is Bulgarian said. Their pellet boilers are not specifically designed to do horizontal exhausting. The worry about this type of flue if the boiler has not been built with this in mind is that should the exhaust fan stop for any reason then there is no draw and all the CO gasses will come into the house. Very valid point, and one that I am not going to ignore or fight.

So the boiler stays in the basement.....Unless I go the whole hog and build myself another chimney :eek:)

B

Hi Les

Not quite sure what you mean, but the unit has an exhaust fan installed which extracts the exhaust gas straight up the chimney which I suppose draws it out.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.