BioPower hardwood pellets, Atikokan, Ontario

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr._Graybeard

Feeling the Heat
Apr 27, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
I 've bought two tons of these pellets and plan to pick up another ton this week from my local TSC. They are light-colored, and while they're marketed as hardwood they have a noticeable resin smell. For that reason I suspect they have some softwood content. They also have a slightly waxy feel. They're 6 mm, with few pellets longer than 3/4 inch. Dust and fines are minimal.

The pellets ignite very quickly, often less than a minute in my Harman with pressure igniter. Heat output is above average, but not on a level with Somersets. Ash is moderate. On a five-star scale I would give this pellet a 3 1/2.

A nice feature is the bags they come in. It is thick and durable. I found only one bag in 2 tons that was not perfectly sealed.

Graybeard,
I've been looking for an alternative to the Indeck Energy pellets that are available at the nearby Menards ($199/ton). They tend to have twice as much ash as the more expensive hardwood ProPellets that is available from a local hardware store ($292/ton).
I called a nearby TSC store and the lady said they carry BioPower pellets, both hardwood and softwood. You seem reasonably happy with their hardwood pellets, have you tried their softwood pellets?
As an aside, I think it odd that there is much in the way of hardwood available to make pellets in Atikokan, since that town in firmly in the Ontario boreal softwood forest....

Graybeard,
I've been looking for an alternative to the Indeck Energy pellets that are available at the nearby Menards ($199/ton). They tend to have twice as much ash as the more expensive hardwood ProPellets that is available from a local hardware store ($292/ton).
I called a nearby TSC store and the lady said they carry BioPower pellets, both hardwood and softwood. You seem reasonably happy with their hardwood pellets, have you tried their softwood pellets?
As an aside, I think it odd that there is much in the way of hardwood available to make pellets in Atikokan, since that town in firmly in the Ontario boreal softwood forest....

I believe BioPower hardwood pellets have considerable softwood content. You can smell the fir/pine resin when you open a bag. I haven't seen BioPower's softwood pellets down here. I would expect the softies to produce less ash then the hardwoods, as the hardwoods produce what I would consider average ash for the type.

I haven't seen Indeck pellets in my area in years. Menards and TSC used to carry them off and on. IIRC, the last time I saw them in a store, they were priced around $250/ton, which I considered too expensive for the quality. They are an ashy pellet but they deliver reasonable heat IMO. If I could get them for $199/ton I would buy them.

$292/ton is ridiculous for a hardwood. A local pellet guy down here has Somersets for $275, which is also pretty damn high. The same guy is selling Heartland Softwoods for the same price as the Somersets.

TSC here has BioPower hardwoods for $204 and change. You might be able to do better since you're closer to the source.