Bird ID ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I enjoy feeding birds. I especially like the woodpeckers. We get downey's and redheads. Heres a flicker. We get yellow and purple finches. Cardinals.

I saw this little bird with the white head and wondered if anyone could identify it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• spring 013.jpg
    spring 013.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 398
  • spring 016.jpg
    spring 016.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 374
  • spring 018.jpg
    spring 018.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 396
Not sure about the little guy, maybe a bunting hybrid? It could be molting its winter coat.

I'm pretty sure the red headed guy is a red-bellied woodpecker, not a flicker. He's a handsome one, nice shot on the feeder. Flickers are larger and have just a touch of red on the back of their head. The wings are tan and black.

Attachments

• White-headedWhite-throatedSparrow.jpg
    White-headedWhite-throatedSparrow.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 321
Oh man - you guys are great. You are right not a flicker - flickers usually make a distinct sound in the woods too.

That's the correct ID on the little guy. Thanks! Thats my first time seeing one.

I'd like to do more feeding - but it's a delicate balance with all the bears in the area. I can't put suet out at all. Same with nectar feeders too.

I see a cardinal around my house every now and again, I try to take pictures but always fly away.. I also have a wood pecker that likes to peck on my metal mail box every summer...lol...

basswidow said:
Oh man - you guys are great. You are right not a flicker - flickers usually make a distinct sound in the woods too.

That's the correct ID on the little guy. Thanks! Thats my first time seeing one.

I'd like to do more feeding - but it's a delicate balance with all the bears in the area. I can't put suet out at all. Same with nectar feeders too.

I use an old rotting stump and just add enough suet for a day's feed or less. Also just scatter feed lightly on the ground. You could also paste suet in the tree bark for the woodies, again not much, but it keeps the birds around without tempting the bears. Be safe.
Ed

BeGreen said:
Not sure about the little guy, maybe a bunting hybrid? It could be molting its winter coat.

I'm pretty sure the red headed guy is a red-bellied woodpecker, not a flicker. He's a handsome one, nice shot on the feeder. Flickers are larger and have just a touch of red on the back of their head. The wings are tan and black.

Right on with the red-bellied woodpecker. We have them at the feeders year around. We have one feeder just sitting on a stand and a good sized piece of sheet metal under it. In the spring we enjoy watching the red-bellied woodpeckers bringing their young to the feeder. They will feed them for a day or two and then they'll bring them to the feeder again and then just leave. The little guys cry and cry waiting for some feed. After some time I suppose hunger takes its toll and they will finally learn they can feed themselves. It's sort of neat to watch that happening.

Someone posted bluebirds they were feeding meal worms to. We've got a ton of bluebirds and I want to try this. I don't think the meal worms will attract the bears like the suet or necter but I could be wrong.

The last time the bear was up on the deck - she had two cubs and I was just coming home from work. My wife yelled from the second floor window to be careful of the bears on the back porch. They left claw marks all over the hand rail while eating the seed and suet. Bent my shepards hook like a pretzel. I don't mind seeing the bears during the day time - but mostly they are night time bandits making food runs.

We have Baltimore Orioles too. I would love to put out some citrus necter for them without the bears going crazy.

Try putting out a wedge of orange for the Orioles. Thats what I feed them on Long Island. Don't know too much about how the bears will like it.

I second the orange wedges, we have 3 families of Orioles right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.