Bird Proof Chimney Cap???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomRC

Mar 3, 2021
KY
I've searched old threads but need some specific "what to buy" advice. Finishing up my second winter with my wood stove and birds have taken a serious liking to my chimney cap. Long story shorts but one got through into my pipe and down in my stove. Tried to grab it, missed and the bird ended up in the house. Not a fun experience! So, I've decided I want to replace the cap I have with a wire mesh cap to keep birds out.

The link below has a number of wire mesh caps. I don't want to get a wire mesh cap that clogs. Should I go 3/4" or 5/8"? Also if anyone could provide a DIRECT LINK to a mesh cap they are using that has worked well please provide specifics. Not sure if the ones in the link below are good or if another brand would be better? Thanks in advance!

I do not have a specific link for you but would say to go as big as possible, and watch for plugging. What size of bird is giving you problems?

Either, but I'd go 3/4" first, and see if it keeps the critters out. If you dig back to early 2012, you'll find documented somewhere in this forum what I bought, just look for the thread about a squirrel in my stove.

DO NOT place this material flat over the end of the chimney. Rather, make a drum out of it, between chimney top and solid rain cap. This drum has much greater surface area over a flat 6" circle.

Here are some photos of two of mine, albeit a little hard to see from the ground:

P6200039.JPG PA280025.JPG

I forgot how crappy the brick placement was on that one, but you'll have to forgive the chimney installer who did it, this job even scared the hell out of him. Man-handling 50 lb. slabs of flagstone at 50 feet up on a raised seam metal roof, with nothing to hold.

Last edited:
Thanks! Not in the mood to deal with anymore birds in the wood stove and certainly not squirrels. It was a pretty good sized bird, surprised he managed to get himself through the cap in the first place. Last year I don't remember birds being an issue around my stove pipe cap. This year they are on it all the time, noisy as all get out too!

Thanks! Not in the mood to deal with anymore birds in the wood stove and certainly not squirrels. It was a pretty good sized bird, surprised he managed to get himself through the cap in the first place. Last year I don't remember birds being an issue around my stove pipe cap. This year they are on it all the time, noisy as all get out too!
Is this a metal chimney or a tiled chimney with a stainless chimney liner? What is the current cap on the chimney?

Go 3/4" screen.

Last year I don't remember birds being an issue around my stove pipe cap. This year they are on it all the time, noisy as all get out too!
They're learning there's a nice warm place to hang out. I used to have these black birds sit atop the oil burner chimney at my old house, getting free heat. The trouble is, they'd get stoned from the fumes and fall down inside, or even onto the ground around the chimney. Like moths to a flame...

We have that cap. DuraVent makes a stainless screen for that cap, but it is too fine unless you burn dry wood and keep the flue gases at the cap over 250º during the outgassing stage. Ours was fine for about 6 years until I had a batch of damp maple. The cap screen clogged in 3 weeks.

Keep the cap. If you want to DIY, get some 3/4" stainless screen. It will need to be rolled into a cylinder that fits to the outside band. That should stop the problem.

This is the DuraVent screen. It is finer in order to act as a spark arrestor.
Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 8.59.32 AM.png

Thanks, I'll probably just end up getting a new 3/4" wire mesh cap and not go the DIY on this project. Lots of different caps with wire mesh so if anyone has a specific model # / direct link to a good cap please provide. Thanks again!

I would stick with the factory cap to assure the best fitment and rain protection.

Not exactly the same situation but thought I'd share my own bird story:

I thankfully haven't had any birds make their way into the stove but I have had make woodpeckers use the cap as a noise amplifier during mating season. They look to be as loud as possible to attract a female so they sit up there and peck away. It sounds like a machine gun inside and kept waking us up at 6 am. My solution was to leave my phone in the stove overnight playing metal. I'd plug it in to the charger and close the door 95% of the way. It actually worked really well, they didn't like the sound of the music. When I took my phone out in the morning they'd be back at it within 5-10 minutes.

I figured as long as I'm awake who am I to get in the way of love? I was rooting for him. I like to my chimney cap helped him land the best looking female woodpecker in the area. ;lol

• Haha
Reactions: Ashful
Flicker males use our chimney cap in the same way every spring. It definitely is a loud alarm clock.

Probably should have just lit a fire and roasted the bird that got in the pipe cause I knew it would not be able to get out but I tried to save him.....or her (not sure). Finally got the bird down into the stove and closed the bypass so it couldn't hop back up in the pipe. Put some gloves on and I was convinced I could grab the bird. Lets just say I missed when I tried to grab him, much flopping around ensued and the next thing I knew the bird was flying around the house, crashing into walls, taking breaks and sitting on the ceiling fans. Finally swatted the bird down with a broom, grabbed it and tossed it out the door.

Perils of wood stove life :)

Probably should have just lit a fire and roasted the bird that got in the pipe cause I knew it would not be able to get out but I tried to save him.....or her (not sure). Finally got the bird down into the stove and closed the bypass so it couldn't hop back up in the pipe. Put some gloves on and I was convinced I could grab the bird. Lets just say I missed when I tried to grab him, much flopping around ensued and the next thing I knew the bird was flying around the house, crashing into walls, taking breaks and sitting on the ceiling fans. Finally swatted the bird down with a broom, grabbed it and tossed it out the door.

Perils of wood stove life :)
Hopefully not a bunch of white walls and furniture covered in soot!

I had a very upset gray squirrel stuck in our stove a few years ago. Knew there was no way in hell I was going to grab that thing. Coaxed him back up the chimney, with aid of a rope.

Had a bird in the pipe/stove recently, got past the band style cap. Bird in the stove closed the damper, placed a garbage bag at the doors and opened the doors so the garbage bag was around them. It was a clear bag and the bird flew into it, grabbed the bird in the bag and out the door it went.

Had a bird in the pipe/stove recently, got past the band style cap. Bird in the stove closed the damper, placed a garbage bag at the doors and opened the doors so the garbage bag was around them. It was a clear bag and the bird flew into it, grabbed the bird in the bag and out the door it went.
That sounds like a much more effective strategy than my approach. I'll have to pick up some clear bags!!

Hopefully it does not happen to us been we also have a cap with a band by ICC Excel so will remember the bag trick. Had to laugh when I read this thread reminds me of a time a Carolina Wren got into our house when we opened our front door that made a nest in our holiday wreath. To make matters worse I had two Springer Spaniel bird dogs at the time that were chasing it all over the house! I had to use a fresh water fishing net to catch it. Took a bit but the Wren was saved.

I tried throwing towel on it through the griddle but it didn't work. Garbage bag worked great. We've got our own birds in the house story. Frost warning and wife was bringing in her hanging plants, unfortunately she waited until dark and there were birds in the baskets. lots of fun with 3 birds flying around the house! For some reason Hummingbirds are always flying into my shop every year and I have to get them out.