Bis 2 Upper baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doug harms

Jan 20, 2017
Victoria
I need to replace the upper baffle of my 20 year old BIS 2 fireplace. I have been told that no one in Canada carries BIS parts and that they have to come from the US and that it would take anywhere from 2 - 6 months to arrive. The last place I talked to said that they could get the baffle within 2 months but that they often show up cracked. I am still expected to pay in advance ($300) and there are no refunds if the part is cracked. This seems ridiculous. Has anyone else experienced this and are there suggestions for possible options? The baffle is simply a piece of refractory cement.

Hi Doug - nice to meet you. I have a BIS 1.0, and last fall I rebuilt the refractories using firebrick and fireplace mortar. So far, it's holding up very well. For the top baffle, I'm using 1/2" ceramic fiberboard, purchased through skylinecomponents.com. You don't need refractory cement for the upper baffle. I like the fiberboard because it's light, and it won't warp or crack. It is a bit fragile, however, so be careful when loading the stove. Good luck!

Hi Doug - nice to meet you. I have a BIS 1.0, and last fall I rebuilt the refractories using firebrick and fireplace mortar. So far, it's holding up very well. For the top baffle, I'm using 1/2" ceramic fiberboard, purchased through skylinecomponents.com. You don't need refractory cement for the upper baffle. I like the fiberboard because it's light, and it won't warp or crack. It is a bit fragile, however, so be careful when loading the stove. Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I am looking at ordering through skyline components. Can you give me an idea of what they charge for shipping to Canada. I tried them today but no answer.

Also what do you us to cut ceramic fibreboard?

You might consider getting some ceramic refractory board of the same thickness and cut your own out of the sheet.

Sorry for the late reply. The ceramic fiberboard from Skyline is very soft, and very lightweight. But, it does the job perfectly. Refractory is very heavy (it's cementitious). The fiberboard can easily be cut with a sharp razor/box knife.