BIS Tradition CE damper stuck when hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dgiberson

Jan 8, 2022
ontario
We have had our BIS Tradition CE for about 14 years now and we questioned the operation back then but was explain that it is operating normally. I am not understanding that this can be normal. Is anyone familiar with this particular model and can explain what is happening.

After we start the fire in the box we leave damper until we have a good burn going about 15 minutes and then we damper down. Now this control has two operations.... Left to Right / In and Out for Primary Air and Air Boost. From manual "There is no flue damper in the BIS® Tradition CE wood burning fireplace. As is common with air tight stoves, the combustion air control sets the flow of air entering the firebox. This allows for a more precise control of the fire"

But once the box gets hot... we can no longer make any adjustments. Once it cools it is operational again. The manual has no mention that this is what is suppose to happen. We did call the manufacturer years ago and questioned it ... hence "that is how it operates)

Any advise or insights? When I do read the manual .. it says in the event of a chimney fire...the manual says "1. Close the fireplace door and the combustion air controls" LOL... not normal!

Reactions: Wisconsin Guy
Try starting a fire without the air boost, just use the primary air control and keep the loading door cracked open to get that extra shot of air until the pieces catch, then close the door, let the firebox get warmer then start closing the primary air.
You may also have everything working but the secondary combustion takes over and that makes the fire look more intense to.

Reactions: dgiberson
Try starting a fire without the air boost, just use the primary air control and keep the loading door cracked open to get that extra shot of air until the pieces catch, then close the door, let the firebox get warmer then start closing the primary air.
You may also have everything working but the secondary combustion takes over and that makes the fire look more intense to.
Unfortunately... that did not work

We have had our BIS Tradition CE for about 14 years now and we questioned the operation back then but was explain that it is operating normally. I am not understanding that this can be normal. Is anyone familiar with this particular model and can explain what is happening.

After we start the fire in the box we leave damper until we have a good burn going about 15 minutes and then we damper down. Now this control has two operations.... Left to Right / In and Out for Primary Air and Air Boost. From manual "There is no flue damper in the BIS® Tradition CE wood burning fireplace. As is common with air tight stoves, the combustion air control sets the flow of air entering the firebox. This allows for a more precise control of the fire"

But once the box gets hot... we can no longer make any adjustments. Once it cools it is operational again. The manual has no mention that this is what is suppose to happen. We did call the manufacturer years ago and questioned it ... hence "that is how it operates)

Any advise or insights? When I do read the manual .. it says in the event of a chimney fire...the manual says "1. Close the fireplace door and the combustion air controls" LOL... not normal!
I have the same BIS Tradition CE, and mine does the same thing, it works a little easier if you pull out the air boost, and then slide it. I found that by working the left to right movement hundreds of times, it works a tiny bit easier. But I still need to grip the lever with a Vice Grip to pull it out then move to the left to open, when it is hot.

Is it possible to get some lubricant on the sliding part? If so, some graphite powder or if access is good, some never-seize paste on the friction areas would help.

Reactions: Wisconsin Guy