FireBrew Posted By FireBrew, Nov 11, 2017 at 12:27 AM

1. rona

rona
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 2, 2008
    Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    You aren't the only one who stuck that connector in the wrong spot. Did it myself and afterward wondered why did they put a connecter on the igniter board? I get that same question probably 6 times a season from people simply because it has a bad connecter system and any vibration it will come off. If you bend that stiff wire a little it will apply pressure to that connector and you won't have any more trouble

bob bare likes this.
  2. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    How about a small dab of silicone sealer?

Ssyko likes this.
  3. rona

rona
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 2, 2008
    Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    Guess I never tried that. I bent that brown wire so it put pressure on the board and never had any problem after that. It would probably help but make sure you can remove it from that board if you need to. At some point these boards require attention such as replacing small parts that will go bad due to over heating etc. If you seem to replace igniters very often sending the board in will solve that problem.

4. Monz

Monz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 8, 2017
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    How do you replace the bearings? And where do you get the new bearings?

5. ohbix

ohbix
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 13, 2009
    Loc:
    OH
    it takes two 608zz bearings (rubber shielded are ok too). I purchased SKF bearings, but some people have successfully used skateboard bearings. I have the Bixby how to file re; bearing replacement. If you'd like that, provide an email address and I'll send it. The hardest steps are 1. removing the hard to access screw by the exhaust tube which holds the fan housing in place, and 2. replacing the snap ring on the motor, if you don't have a snap ring tool.

6. bags

bags
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    FYI to all of you Bixby folks. I noticed there is a brand new Bixby for sale in Cincinnati, OH Craigslist for $1,400 if I recall. It has never been hooked up and used. They moved and just never had a use for it. It's in Anderson Township just east of Cincy.

Thought I would throw this out to you all if you were looking or knew anyone that was. The stove is black and looks just like Rona's picture.

7. rona

rona
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 2, 2008
    Loc:
    southwestern Minn

8. rona

rona
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 2, 2008
    Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    I have to disagree with both skate bearings and rubber sealed bearings. Also any using oil. It gets hot where that bearing is located and simply put you may as well buy the bearings that are used by professional people who rebuild motors. They buy bearings that are metal shielded plus they have high temp grease in them made for the job.
    I have tried numerous types of bearings for this application and the best ones came from your local electric motor repair shops. I have removed the fan and removed the motors to replace the bearings many times and yeah it is not fun so why do it more then you have to? a few years ago I bought some 120 Bixby stoves from a dealer who had bought 300 from Bixby and was reselling them. Before those stoves were shipped he replaced the bearings in these new stoves because he knew they were inferior bearings. He replaced them with bearings like I described and never had a complaint. Since then when I get a used stove in and rebuild it those bearings are automatically replaced with the same high quality ones.

bags and kappel15 like this.
  9. Monz

Monz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 8, 2017
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I would appreciate the How To file. I am mechanically able to do the work myself and do have the required tools. My email address is: lftd02@gmail.com Thank you for the info. I have already replaced the convection fan a couple of years ago, but am NOT gonna replace it again. I'll be getting a new and different brand stove before that happens. I've had this stove since 2004, and its been good for us. I've kept it well maintained but it's getting harder to find help, parts, advice, etc.... for this stove. I'll try changing bearings, thermocouple and snap disc and see what happens.
    Thanks again, Steve