Bixby maxfire 115 main board schematic J3 port pins signals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

piddle

Nov 10, 2020
central Minnesota
Hello,
Looking for schematic on Bixby maxfire 115 main board or if anyone knows the J3 port pin signals are on the upper-left corner of the board. There are 4 pins that are on J3. Suspect they are ground, Rx, Tx, etc. but don't know which pin is which on this jumper.

I'm trying to make a USB-2- serial Communication cable so I can use BixCheck sw with my Bixby stove. Noticed its using the older PIC uC that is 5 volt TTL level. Figured I'd use the BixCheck SW to help troubleshoot the stove...

I know its an old stove and not many using it anymore but I really could use the help. Thanks.

Rona be the man when it comes to bixby’s, you may have to drop him an email I haven’t seen him in here yet this season

@rona

Reactions: Mt Bob
I tried to PM and email Rona about month ago but no response. He helped so many here I was hoping someone has the J3-pin/board information. I would appreciate the help or could help me contact Rona.
Thanks.

There is a vendor who sells a compatible cable,$50 + 10 to ship.
Sometimes it's worth spending the money instead of reinventing the wheel.
If you really want to try and build the cable then you only have two pins to really worry about, the rx and tx.
Use a meter to see which pin connects to the common of the 5V supply, that will be your ground. From there you have to try each combination of rx and tx until you get it right. Also, most RS232 cables have jumpers between the other pins, CTS to RTS, etc. Do a google search on RS232 on a 9 pin D connector to get some examples of what is typical.
Good Luck, Bill

Bixby cable.jpg

I tried to PM and email Rona about month ago but no response. He helped so many here I was hoping someone has the J3-pin/board information. I would appreciate the help or could help me contact Rona.
Thanks.
Been a while since I been on here and my old faithful computer crashed and burned so lost a lot of information but as far as the cable goes my suggestion is buy one for 50.00 then you will need either a old laptop with right connection or a adapter with usb connection. Lots of people tried to build one but failed. Actually Digi Key has part of it but you need more then a cable with a usb connection. There is another company that used to sell a cable with USB connection with a chip in it and all you had to do was buy the connection that fit the Bixby and insert the right wires into it and it would work. I sold many of these cables with directions and warranted them to work including latest software for the stove. Old age and COVID seem to be playing a trick on me as I can’t remember the name of the company that I purchased the cable from but I will post it when I do.

Hello,
Looking for schematic on Bixby maxfire 115 main board or if anyone knows the J3 port pin signals are on the upper-left corner of the board. There are 4 pins that are on J3. Suspect they are ground, Rx, Tx, etc. but don't know which pin is which on this jumper.

I'm trying to make a USB-2- serial Communication cable so I can use BixCheck sw with my Bixby stove. Noticed its using the older PIC uC that is 5 volt TTL level. Figured I'd use the BixCheck SW to help troubleshoot the stove...

I know its an old stove and not many using it anymore but I really could use the help. Thanks.
I have a extra cable I paid 50.00 for would sell it for 50.00.

Hi, in regards to the USB to serial issue with the chip its because a lot of cable vendors were using counterfeit FTDI chips and FTDI eventually blocked or bricked them via driver updates in windows. Having a true serial port is ideal, but if you must use an adapter be certain its genuine FTDI or you will experience a lot of frustration.

Reactions: Ssyko