BK and Woodstock alternates?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snaple4

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2017
AR
I’m fairly set on either a BK or WS In a few years when I save up enough money (renovating one house after the other is expensive..) to buy a wood stove. I was thinking though, are there any other alternatives? I know some of the big manufacturers are coming out with hybrid tech and such but they don’t seem to have the same quality and personal attention.

Are there other less known brands that can go toe to toe with these two companies?

What qualities about these stoves are you looking to replicate? Is it customer service? Efficiency? Burn times? Emissions? Quality? Or just good cat stoves?
The kuma company out of Idaho is putting up some really good numbers for a cat stove. For noncats, the PE line seems well liked.

I’m fairly set on either a BK or WS In a few years when I save up enough money (renovating one house after the other is expensive..) to buy a wood stove. I was thinking though, are there any other alternatives? I know some of the big manufacturers are coming out with hybrid tech and such but they don’t seem to have the same quality and personal attention.

Are there other less known brands that can go toe to toe with these two companies?
The regency pro line has been performing well. And I am sure there will be other new models that work well also. The fact that you won't be buying for a few years means you get to see how the new 2020 stoves work out in the real world. Quality wise there are plenty that match bk and ws. Noting against those 2 just that there are other good ones as well

Reactions: tadmaz
Of course Woodstock has had hybrids out for several years, like Regency has.
I liked the Buck 91 (straight cat) that I had at my MIL's house. Good engineering and build quality. No gasket on the bypass to worry about. Good ash-handling with the big opening and hinged door. Throws big heat, like the Woodstocks. Blower wasn't the quietest. They make them in your neighborhood, too. ==c
A lot depends on what sq.ft. you're trying to heat, the layout, etc when choosing a stove..

Kuma and Buck have some good options and there are new hybrids coming out too. It's a bit too early to recommend them, but initial reports for some like the Regency 3500 are good.