BK convection deck worth...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
I had ordered the convection deck when I placed the order for my stove but it was backordered at the time and it was late December last year and cold! I hooked the Princess up and ran it...this unusually bitter cold weather has me wondering if I am missing out and if it would benefit me..I would love to hear from those who have the deck and those who added it later and your observations...thanks.

Sooo no deck/fan kit installed? After putting it on you will wonder why you waited. To bad its not standard equipment. Very effective distributing heat.

Sooo no deck/fan kit installed? After putting it on you will wonder why you waited. To bad its not standard equipment. Very effective distributing heat.
I have the fan kit on and running as we speak....I was wondering if the deck would add much to my set up.Those -30 plus mornings had me wondering...:)

BTT

I had ordered the convection deck when I placed the order for my stove but it was backordered at the time and it was late December last year and cold! I hooked the Princess up and ran it...this unusually bitter cold weather has me wondering if I am missing out and if it would benefit me..I would love to hear from those who have the deck and those who added it later and your observations...thanks.

Had it on both of my BK's and love it you can move a ton of heat when needed,especially in below temps.

I’ve added a convection deck to my nc30 and the increase in output is amazing. The deck routes air to blast into and across the very hot area above the cat for more output.

I suspect the only reason the deck is not standard is that many customers would prefer the cooking area.

I’ve added a convection deck to my nc30 and the increase in output is amazing. The deck routes air to blast into and across the very hot area above the cat for more output.

I suspect the only reason the deck is not standard is that many customers would prefer the cooking area.
Have you ever ran your BK with out the deck? If so... How does it compare with the deck on and no fans running? Just curious if there is a difference in the convection effect.

A stove only produces X amount of BTU's or "output" with or without blowers and convection decks. You are either misunderstood or meant to say you have seen a increase in the ability of the nc30 to effectively move or distribute heat into your specific space.

A stove only produces X amount of BTU's or "output" with or without blowers and convection decks. You are either misunderstood or meant to say you have seen a increase in the ability of the nc30 to effectively move or distribute heat into your specific space.

The movement of air strips heat from a stove faster than natural convection so I can increase the burn rate and still stay within safe temperatures. A wood burning appliance can make more heat with more blowers. Fact.

Last edited:

Not sure I buy into that. If you normally run an nc30 at 750* without fans, wouldn't it require a higher btu output to maintain that same temperature with a fan blowing much cooler room air across the stovetop and stripping the heat off quicker.

And then there's the BK which has a thermostat that is controlled by the temperature of the stove. I know my thermostat will stay open further for the same setting with the fans on high, which amounts to higher BTU output.

Reactions: Highbeam
Have you ever ran your BK with out the deck? If so... How does it compare with the deck on and no fans running? Just curious if there is a difference in the convection effect.

I never ran the princess without the deck. My only before/after comparison experience comes from dramatically increasing the output of my nc30 by using a deck and then a larger than oem blower.

No wood furnaces have been able to burn clean enough for Washington state so I did what I could to increase the nc30 output. Run it at max safe temp and force air over the stove to strip heat.

The same principle should apply to the bk when looking for maximum output. Here’s a mind trick, When you don’t want max output you have two ways to get a fixed output rate. Blowers and low stove temp or no blowers and a higher stove temp.

False. The movement of air strips heat from a stove faster than natural convection so I can increase the burn rate and still stay within safe temperatures. A wood burning appliance can make more heat with more blowers. Fact.

Yup the heat on a stove is variable and you can increase the burn rate and that's a fact. But nope you can't increase the output or BTU's above what it's max rating is. Take 2 identical stoves....one with a blower and one without. Your saying the stove with a fan has a higher BTU rating or output than one without? I've never seen this any mfg spec.

Yup the heat on a stove is variable and you can increase the burn rate and that's a fact. But nope you can't increase the output or BTU's above what it's max rating is. Take 2 identical stoves....one with a blower and one without. Your saying the stove with a fan has a higher BTU rating or output than one without? I've never seen this any mfg spec.

Absolutely. The manufacturer’s max rating assumes a few things. Blower or not, a particular temperature, and probably a particular draft strength among others.

This is the reason your car has a fan for the radiator, more heat is transferred when you move air over the hot thing.

Absolutely. The manufacturer’s max rating assumes a few things. Blower or not, a particular temperature, and probably a particular draft strength among others.

This is the reason your car has a fan for the radiator, more heat is transferred when you move air over the hot thing.

Huh? You can squeeze more BTU's out of a single load of wood by running an external blower?

The movement of air strips heat from a stove faster than natural convection so I can increase the burn rate and still stay within safe temperatures. A wood burning appliance can make more heat with more blowers. Fact.
I have found this to be true with out the deck and just the fans running...I can go from 68 to 80 in here in about a hour+/-....pumpimg out BTUs in to the room at a much faster rate....I was thinking the convection would step this up even more...

Huh? You can squeeze more BTU's out of a single load of wood by running an external blower?
It has to see with heat transfer rates. At 750 degrees stove top without fans the transfer rate is less Than at 500 degrees with fans on. at 750 with no fans you have more heat going up your chimney. at 500 with fan the metal transfer rates are greater = less heat loss up the chimney. more BTUs staying in house:).

That’s something entirely different. When using blowers to increase the maximum output rate of a stove you will consume fuel faster. The number of btus in a load is constant, we’re just trying to get them into the room in a hurry!

There is an additional discussion that can be had about efficiency but that’s a little more advanced.

Last edited:
I have found this to be true with out the deck and just the fans running...I can go from 68 to 80 in here in about a hour+/-....pumpimg out BTUs in to the room at a much faster rate....I was thinking the convection would step this up even more...

In my experience, the deck makes the blowers more effective at stripping heat from a stove. It forces more air molecules to impact and scrub the surface to harvest heat. Ideally, the convection deck would surround the whole stove and part of the flue which is exactly what a wood furnace does.

That’s something entirely different. When using blowers to increase the maximum output rate of a stove you will consume fuel faster. The number of btus in a load is constant, we’re just trying to get them into the room in a hurry!

Nah. The comment was made that "output" which is defined by all mfg's as either BTU or KW is increased by adding a convection deck. All things equal the transfer rate not the output has increased.

Look closer, output is measured in btu per hour. Even kw is a unit of energy per second, I think joules? So stove output is the rate of energy production which is easily increased with a convection deck and blower.

Per fuel load, the delivered btu is pretty much constant. Until you want to introduce efficiency into the discussion.

Nah. The comment was made that "output" which is defined by all mfg's as either BTU or KW is increased by adding a convection deck. All things equal the transfer rate not the output has increased.

We might be saying the same thing. With blowers you are increasing the transfer rate of energy from the stove into the room. Just like you said?

Call it what you want. Bigger blower, bigger convection deck, the space can get hotter faster than without as long as you keep the stove filled and hot.

Call it what you want. Bigger blower, bigger convection deck, the space can get hotter faster than without as long as you keep the stove filled and hot.

Yeah were saying the same thing but to be fair I'm not calling it how I want. Output is just that....output. Not speed, efficiency or anything else that may or may not be advanced.