BK vs BK+ general BK advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Felix5513

Jan 20, 2016
Robbinsville,NC
So, I am pretty set on replacing my englander insert with a Blaze King Princess insert but I am just mulling it over and am looking for advice from those who own one. Can anyone give a comparison between the princess insert and the sirrocoo in how well they heat( as in,naturally, between the princess sticking out 11 inches and the sirrocco almost flush)?
Also, would most advise me to wait a couple years to buy one until I have truly,dry, and seasoned wood(<20%)? Right now, I have about half a cord that is <20% even <18% and about 4 full cords css,top covered with metal and on pallets with considerable distance from each stack and from the ground(raised pallets); 95% of splits are 2-4 inches wide.

If you’re after heating performance then the princess has the better specs in a time tested and proven design. I would only be looking at the princess.

Reactions: Felix5513
I can’t speak to inserts as I have a free standing princess. However I switched from a PE Summit mid season last year so it was a good back to back comparison,

The BK’s and I’m sure any other cat stove need really good dry wood to perform at their best. This year I built a kiln and dried all my wood in it over the summer as there just isn’t enough room at the house to do the 3 year plan! This year all my wood is 15% mc. What a difference it makes, can turn the thermostat a lot lower and my burn times are way up.

I can’t speak to inserts as I have a free standing princess. However I switched from a PE Summit mid season last year so it was a good back to back comparison,

The BK’s and I’m sure any other cat stove need really good dry wood to perform at their best. This year I built a kiln and dried all my wood in it over the summer as there just isn’t enough room at the house to do the 3 year plan! This year all my wood is 15% mc. What a difference it makes, can turn the thermostat a lot lower and my burn times are way up.
What kind of kiln did you build?

I hope this is of benefit to you. Last Nov I installed a Princess Insert (my first woodstove) which was the new model and now have 1 year under my belt.

My install went fine, my wife is not thrilled with the insert sticking out from the fireplace but I'm not thrilled with her cooking so I won on that element...hehe. I had already stacked some Sugar Maple and it had about 1 1/2 summers to dry. Larger pieces measured out closer to 24%, smaller ones were under 18%. I had no problem burning either all season long.

I was immediately able to obtain 12 hour burns, loading around 8pm at night and reloading at 8am in the morning and still having heat. Rarely did I run it wide open as I was nervous about an over fire or getting the unit too hot. Members told me it was fine to run open, I was just taking baby steps.

There were a couple of Ashford users here last year, but not enough to get a really good read on its effectiveness. Of course every installation is different, especially considering the heat loss from the building envelop and inability to move air around the house.

I have a traditional 2 story center hall colonial dwelling with 8' ceilings and standard doorways. I did have very limited heat escaping upstairs to the bedrooms and had about an 8 deg difference in temp between the levels. I did use floor fans and tried to move air around, I suspect it was the 1' headers above the doors that blocked the air flow from moving upstairs with ease.

I burned about 2 cords in total. If you check your less ideal wood and it is in the 24% range, you should be ok. I chose the Princess for its better heating ability, no question it provides radiant warmth whereas the Sirrocco would not. Latter looks more attractive but I want performance, not looks. I would go Princess.

Reactions: Highbeam
Guessing solar. Effective. Research solar firewood kiln. Good stuff!
More info and many threads on solar kilns in the woodshed forum here.