Q&A Black Birch - and how should I split wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Great web site!! Lots of usable info!! It helped me find and purchase a replacement stove. I have a few questions that you may be able to help with.

I have a about 4 cords of black birch....tough to split because it is so stringy. Doesn't all birch have an oil content in the bark? How does this affect seasoning? It seems that this birch burns quite cleanly even though it not been seasoned thoroughly...less than 6 months.

Also, is there an update on hydraulic splitters vs the old wedge and maul? I read an article about 15 years ago that recommended the wedge and maul for the homeowner, based upon time and motion studies. It concluded that the gas- powered splitters were not efficient for the homeowner, after adding up all of the maintenance and operational costs. I think they are great, but only if TWO people do the work.......one to load and one to operate.

Answer:

Thanks for the Kudos...yes, some woods , Birch included, do season easier than others, and six months will dry most species nicely. If the wood is split before seasoning, I don't think the bark will have much effect on the speed of drying.

I don't have any update on the spitters, but I agree with the basic idea...that is, you need two people to really make use of the gas powered splitters. Moving the wood onto the platform is a lot of work...maybe the splitters with the vertical configuration solve some of this problem. Either way, it's a big investment, and unless many people are going to share one unit it may not be a good value.

Check out "The Gear" forum at www.hearth.com. There are numerous reviews etc. of different splitters all by homeowners.

Link: The Gear Forum at Hearth.com

Status
Not open for further replies.