Black dust on stove walls that burn off.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emu456

Good evening, been stalking the forums for a few months now, lots of help so far. This my first post and my first year w a wood stove. I bought a house that came with a Federal Airtight stove. I used it a few times last spring, and now have been having fires about 3 times a week so far this fall. I have moisture meter and have been religiously checking my levels before every fire (still a little scared lol), get consistent readings on oak between 14-19 pct. Anyways the question is a s follows..when I first light a fire in the stove I notice little patches of black soot on the walls of the stove that seem to sparkle, kinda like a grass fire. They get no bigger than a quarter of so and don't last any longer than 10 seconds or so. What is this? I had a chimney inspection/sweep a month ago and they said every was really clean. The previous owners also had it cleaned every year as well. Is what I am seeing just soot burning off? Or is it the dreaded C word? Thanks for your help. Glad I have found this site, lots of great help so far :)

Sounds like soot burning off.