Black dust...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that I need a better vac, one with a Hepa filter and a fine particle bag. The reason I don't want to pull the stove out is because for one,I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing. My last question for the night is this: Why can't my insert be vented to the outside through the side of the chimney. I would then have the ability to filter the incoming air if I wanted to. I again am assuming that this could be done and would be cleaner and more efficient in the operation of the stove. Thanks, Bill

bostonfan49 said:
I agree that I need a better vac, one with a Hepa filter and a fine particle bag. The reason I don't want to pull the stove out is because for one,I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing. My last question for the night is this: Why can't my insert be vented to the outside through the side of the chimney. I would then have the ability to filter the incoming air if I wanted to. I again am assuming that this could be done and would be cleaner and more efficient in the operation of the stove. Thanks, Bill

Are you saying you want outside air to be used by the convection system on the stove or is it the combustion air you want hooked to an OAK.

You don't hook convection air systems to the outside.

An insert can be connected to an OAK, it can and likely will improve your burn. If the source of your black dust is leakage via the air intake (low probability, but possible) it would definitely stop that.

Eatonpcat said:
All kind of good info in this thread... But I think my favorite part is Smokey the Bear is now...THE FIRE GOD!!!

Hey the board software granted that title to me on post number 5001, I was perfectly happy just being Smokey.

It is also possible that some of that black dust is actually automobile soot, soot from your neighbors #2 fuel eater, those lovely trucks that go by your house, I sit several hundred feet off the road but crud from that traffic makes it to the house, as does forest fire smoke from several hundred miles away.

A little bit confused about the "convection" part...but what I think I want is an OAK for my insert so that instead of sucking in warm inside air, and all it's potential garbage, I would rather draw in fresher outside cold air and if need be I could filter the incoming air. That.....is what I would like to change with my insert. So, I hope this is a possibility??? Really appreciate your time and help. Bill

bostonfan49 said:
A little bit confused about the "convection" part...but what I think I want is an OAK for my insert so that instead of sucking in warm inside air, and all it's potential garbage, I would rather draw in fresher outside cold air and if need be I could filter the incoming air. That.....is what I would like to change with my insert. So, I hope this is a possibility??? Really appreciate your time and help. Bill

Yes you can OAK the insert.

I really wouldn't try installing a filter on the convection air intake, unless there is a very large area that it uses as an intake air source, you do not want to interfere with its ability to pull in the air and a filter can do that even if perfectly clean unless you take the required care.

I have made exhaust filters out of spare vac hose pieces or out of pvc. I used pvc that fit the outlet on my shop vac and used a reducer and took it to 2" with a screw cap with holes in cap for exhaust air and I use some of my old fire retardant shirt material along with a couple drier sheets in the middle for fresh scent and let the vac exhaust go through that. There are many different ways to do this and it does help with noise and dust control.

THANK YOU! So the bottom line is, yes I can install an OAK and it should insure a cleaner air, and provide a better burn! This is what I was hoping you would say! Now I have a stove project for next summer. In the meantime I will get a better VAC. Thanks, Bill

I think there might be some confusion here. I'm not sure the OP quite understands that there are two separate air systems for a pellet stove. The combustion air is drawn into the firebox (from the house, or through an OAK), used in the fire, and exhausted out the vent. The convection air is the room air that is drawn into the heat exchanger from the room, heated, and blown back into the room. The two "airs" never meet or mingle in the stove.
An OAK is only used for combustion air.
The convection air comes from the room; it is recirculated air, and goes back into the room.
Hope this was helpful, not trying to lecture...

Nice explanation heat seeker.

My 2 cents added! If the vent has a leak? It will exhaust some(smoke/soot) in the same area that the convection air is taking in its air. This will spread some smoke smell and soot about the house. Through the convection tubes.

Hey J-Takeman... thanks for your help! As I posted in my new Thank you note and a quion for Heat Seaker...now I really understand how my stove works. If you want to answer the question that I posted to Heat-Seaker, feel free to jump in...I know now that cold/fresh air from an OAK is better on the combustion side, I am just curious on HOW MUCH better???????

There was a recent thread on just that subject - whether or not an OAK is worth it. My take on it is that why use air you've paid to heat to burn a fire? There was some discussion on whether the heated air benefits the fire itself, and I get the impression that it doesn't do enough good to make it worth while sucking a lot of cold replacement air into the house.
The major benefit, IMO, is that you will be less susceptible to wind affecting the fire, and the stove won't be competing for air with the drier, range hood, gas water heater, etc. You can run into trouble if there ends up being negative pressure in the house, if you don't have an OAK. My opinion is that an OAK should be mandatory, and some manufacturers agree with me! (How about that?) Just my 2¢.

Status
Not open for further replies.