Black flecks (paint?) coming out of blower outlet on Regency I2400 – what are they?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwsj12

Sep 1, 2008
WI
I have a Regency I2400 that is about 1.5 years old. Yesterday, black “flecks” started coming out of the outlet where the blower expels hot air into the room. The largest of these pieces is about the size of a finger nail. They are black, paper thin, seemingly metallic, and very fragile. They are not pieces of coal. Any ideas on what these are? Anyone else seen this before? Is this something I need to worry about?

Mine is the same age and I have not noticed this. Is it paint? Could it be rusting? Is the hwimney allowing water to get to the stove
?

Sounds like paint flakes off the stove. was it overheated to where the paint temps were exceeded? been running it hard lately? Moisture getting to the stove??

I have seen some new Quad units where the fan was apparently installed before they painted it. There were chunks of dried pain inside the fan cages. Could be they finally decided to come out?

I do not believe this is rust related. These are black, metallic, paint-like flecks, often curled.

I have been running the stove no different than last year. I do not believe I am overfiring.

Is this a problem? Is there a stove safely concern? I have two small children - is this paint chipping a concern for them (of course we "discourage" them from eating paint chips, but there still must be some chips/dust/residue)?

Sounds like paint, or maybe one of the kids shoved a piece of paper or something in there. We go to a lot of homes where they report smells from stoves and pull all sorts of toys and objects from heat exchangers

I highly doubt it is something the "kids stuffed in" - they are very young.

I would guess it is likely some sort of paint issue. Do I have a problem here? What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.