Black Friday Deal on Chain Grinder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Anyone heard of any?

Ended up getting an Oregon 520-120 for toal Cost of $319 Free Shipping off ebay.

I gave Baileys a chance to match but they can only match on Husky Saws.

Ground a few chains really nice grinder. Chains cut really good.
I noticed this new version of grinder has some refinements in the
settings of all the angles depending on if your doing the 0deg or 10deg tilt.
Makes sure to keep straight in your head which way to tilt for a right hand cutter or left hand cutter.
Can get mixed around easily.

Everything is really tight on this grinder no sloppy play in the movements of the grinder.
Makes for a more precise grindand consistent grind.

I am getting a 3/16" diamond CBN wheel for my birthday.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Ground a few chains really nice grinder. Chains cut really good.
I noticed this new version of grinder has some refinements in the
settings of all the angles depending on if your doing the 0deg or 10deg tilt.
Makes sure to keep straight in your head which way to tilt for a right hand cutter or left hand cutter.
Can get mixed around easily.

Everything is really tight on this grinder no sloppy play in the movements of the grinder.
Makes for a more precise grindand consistent grind.

I am getting a 3/16" diamond CBN wheel for my birthday.

I don't understand how this style sharpener works. I've only sharpened chains still mounted on the bar using a round file. I'm sure the disk works but I can't for the life of me figure out how a flat disk abrasive wheel can grind the kind of round hole I get with a round file. I suppose if I saw it in action (up close) it would make more sense.

Even then, I suspect the shape of the abrasive wheel could change as it wears in. Does it come with a tool to dress the wheel back to the proper contour?

Been using a Dremmel for 11 years, much much cheaper.

Dremels are awesome

Wheels are rounded. Not Flat. There is a flat one for rakers. and you can dress the wheel to keep its shape.

I think after hand filing for years and I can hand file pretty good, but the Oregon Grinder made with precision and having several angles you can set gets you a consistent sharp every time. Now you can get things sharp with a hand file or dremel and they will do pretty good.
I found that I would never keep a constant movement every time. But The chain would cut pretty good but seems like this new
grinder I got, gets me a good sharp chain every time. I just got it as a gift since its a hobble of mine something else to fiddle with.
I am sure I will hand file still once in a while.