Black pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steaming Pile

Nov 13, 2008
Northern PA
Anyone ever try using a pipe bender to bend black pipe? Saw a hydraulic bender in the Northern catalog and I think it would make for a clean install. Just wondering if it's been done.

I've used one quite a bit. It results in a large radius bend so you need room to install the pipe. I think the flow would have a lot less restriction. I think you may end up wasting some pipe as its easier to leave the ends "wild" and then cut to fit after bending. Compound bends are not too easy until you practice for awhile. I didn't worry as much when my employer had an infinite supply of pipe to let someone like me practice on. It may be more difficult if your using threaded connections trying to line them up. I have typically welded most stuff when using a bender.

Mike

threading and spinning to tighten could get "interesting" if your not welding.

Isn't most black pipe seamed, I don't know how well seamed schedule 40 pipe would take to a bender.

chuck172 said:
Isn't most black pipe seamed, I don't know how well seamed schedule 40 pipe would take to a bender.

I believe seam made pipe would work just fine.If anything the bend should become stronger from being "work hardened". Schedule 40 should be fine for anything your going to do. I just used and bent some on a high pressure CO2 fire system. Make sure you follow any required codes for your install.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.