Black Walnut Poisoning dogs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
Wanted to let you know that this is true. My 65lb pit is down and out from chewing on some black Walnut lumber I had milled. She has tremors, dizziness and hind quarter weakness. All stereotypical of when a dog chews on the wood of black Walnut. We have induced vomiting with peroxide (3.5 tablespoons) and are monitoring the situation at home. From what I've read all should be ok but nobody likes to see their pet suffering in discomfort. Just wanted folks to know this is not a myth, I'm experiencing it. If cutting up Walnut be mindful of the dogs. Eating walnut husks causes different symptoms from what I read. Dogs and horse's are the 2 animals affected from black Walnut.

Black walnut is some freaky wood. I moved up to the North Carolina mountains from Georgia. Never heard of the black walnut.
I made a big garden, roto tilled the area, brought in peat moss and cow manure, built a 3 foot fence all around, planted all the potatoes, expensive blueberry bushes, etc.
Everything died. It turned out, the nearby black walnut tree had killed the garden.
Some freaky sap comes off of the black walnut and it kills potatoes. Also the roots of black walnut are toxic.

So I had a grudge against that tree. I was going to build an addition onto my log cabin, I whacked that black walnut tree to make the summerbeam.
And I sawed it down with my chain saw, so that it was 18 inches high, and 8 inches thick, and 17 feet long. What beautiful wood!
Of course we had to sand it down. I got my helper to work on it, he had on a respirator etc, but after 30 minutes he was feeling sick. Now, all the sawing I did with the chain saw, hours of it, I was producing wet, chainsaw sawdust it didn't bother me. But sanding the beam with the disc grinder produces very fine dry sawdust powder, like flour. This made Adam sick, he felt like he was coming down with the flu. So I sent Adam home. With the respirator you are breathing in little, if any, of that sawdust. Perhaps it gets in through your skin.

yrhYPM0l.jpg

But, I wanted the thing sanded so I sanded it myself. I was on it for about 5 hours, disc grinder and belt sander. It made me feel a little sick but it wasn't too bad. It affected my helper worse than it did me.

So I am sorry for your doggie but that black walnut is some freaky wood.

Z16zTtUl.jpg

summerbeam

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdougy

I have seen warnings that when working with Black Walnut and cedar that respirators are recommended.

In my previous life as a cabinet maker I found lots of people have reactions to lots of woods. My wife couldn't sand cherry. Lots of people had trouble with walnut. Cedar irritates pretty much everyone. The only ones that bothered me much were teak and rosewood

The liquid from walnut peels will cure ringworm just like iodine. I know from experience from sleeping on a gravel bar after catfishing all night. I noticed a wierd ring on my arm. I was pretty freaked out when my gpa told me it was ringworm. I was thinking african nema toads or sumthin lol. Just take a walnut and stain the spot with it. I was pretty amazed with that.

Yes the health food stores love black walnut and you can see it in many of their products. I think I have seen it where you eat a few capsules and it will kill ringworm.

My buddy Tom moved down here from New York City. He bought land next to me on this mountain, and he hired me to build him a log cabin. He had 9 acres, I have 48.
We worked on his house for 10 months and it was coming along, really nice log cabin. It was August. And Tom got sick as hell. He was having an allergic reaction to something.
He talked to all the docs, turned out he was allergic to black walnut. He was dancing on pins and needles for the next 2 months, I guess the freaky sap comes out in the fall. He had to take Benadryl more than once.

We finished the house, beautiful big log cabin with expansive views of the French Broad River. Tom's wife was all geared up to move down here Tom had bought an office in town for her acupuncture clinic, she has an acupuncture practice in New York.

Tom was scared to death of having a bad/fatal anaphylactic reaction, one day, to the demonic walnut tree, he packed up and went back to Manhattan, and sold the house.