Blackstone Pellets, any opinion's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

12ammkv

Aug 20, 2015
Western MA
I did a quick search but didn't really find much info or opinion's on them. I know they are a new company. But I can get them for a (I think) fair price per ton. ( $285). I know I could try a couple bags first but it's kinda hard in 90 degree weather, my wife might have me committed. Thanks for any info.

I did a quick search but didn't really find much info or opinion's on them. I know they are a new company. But I can get them for a (I think) fair price per ton. ( $285). I know I could try a couple bags first but it's kinda hard in 90 degree weather, my wife might have me committed. Thanks for any info.
No. Come down here Into ny and pick up la cretes or lignetics for 275$Those are a blended junk pellet like green supreme and way to much

Reactions: 12ammkv
No. Come down here Into ny and pick up la cretes or lignetics for 275$Those are a blended junk pellet like green supreme and way to much

Darn. I was hoping the were good. The prices are kinda crazy around here right now. Why brand would you suggest? Around here there isn't many brands cubex ($320) VT pellet ($319 not in stock yet) energex ($290) NE pellet ($280 which I used a few time before in my old house which had a free stand stove really wasn't impressed with them.) our new house has a insert. There are a few more but not really worth mentioning.

Darn. I was hoping the were good. The prices are kinda crazy around here right now. Why brand would you suggest? Around here there isn't many brands cubex ($320) VT pellet ($319 not in stock yet) energex ($290) NE pellet ($280 which I used a few time before in my old house which had a free stand stove really wasn't impressed with them.) our new house has a insert. There are a few more but not really worth mentioning.

I live in western ma and buy my pellets art Squire Lumber in Monson. They have a good selection and what I consider a fair price. I get mine in the spring when they are cheapest.

No brainier, get the Vermonts.

My opinion is these pellets are not worth much but do have potential.
Based on all the printed info I read I took a chance and picked up a ton. As soon as I opened the first bag I was quickly disappointed. At first glance they appear ok. longer in length, light in color and they actually smelled like fresh cut wood. Then as I began dumping the bag into the hopper I noticed the bag was loaded with fines, saw dust and tiny pieces. I took a few longer pieces from the hopper and tried breaking them. They didn't really have a nice crisp "snap". They just kind of broke into two large pieces and several crumbled chunks.
They do burn ok with decent heat but they contain so much saw dust they do not settle in the hopper. As they are consumed and the auger well at the bottom of the hopper runs dry and the stove shuts down. After just five bags there was so much sawdust I had to vacuum out the hopper. I have a Quadrafire insert and have never had a problem burning any pellets. (some just burn better than others.) When I sift the fines and saw dust out of the each bag I can burn them ok. It's just extra aggravation I would prefer to avoid.
So bottom line is.... Blackstone pellets have some potential if only they could reduce the amount of sawdust.

Here is a pic of the incredible amount of crap I get out of just one bag.
fines.jpg

Last edited:
These are probably the worst pellets I've ever burnt. Kinda a shame was hoping they would be good. I got a bag last week after freezing my ass off being on the ocean fishing.

They say super premium. That's a joke!

These are probably the worst pellets I've ever burnt. Kinda a shame was hoping they would be good. I got a bag last week after freezing my ass off being on the ocean fishing.

They say super premium. That's a joke!
I have to agree I tried these last year .. they were at Lowes Middletown NY relabeled as Still River ... so soft and dusty etc that the stove would throw a fault, when starting , proof of fire failure and shut down when running on the thermostat ... never had that issue with clean energy (hamer hot ones) and cured it this year by using Greene Team Platinums .. never happens with quality pellets

I agree with the amount of sawdust. I had to clean my Enviro stove more often due to the fines. Try to support my local hardware store and these were the brand they sold this year. Going back to Hamers Hot ones.