Blaze King Ashford 25 - Hearth extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

putdownfox

Aug 14, 2020
Pottstown, PA
How far from the fireplace opening does the Ashford 25 door opening protrude onto the hearth? My hearth is 10 inches from the floor, and the hearth extends 16.5 inches from the fireplace opening. I imagine the ashford 25 door opening will stick out approx 3-4 inches, so looks like I'm short on the required hearth extension (16"). Based on the manual all I need is ember protection since the hearth is raised more than 5 inches from floor level. Agree?

From the manual - "If the bottom of the appliance is 5” (125 mm) or more above the floor level (combustable material) only ember protection is required (UL 1618 type 1) extending 16” (407 mm) in USA or 18” (458 mm) in Canada in front of the door and extending 8” to either side of the door opening."

Picture of my hearth - will a hearth rug work on the floor in front? Or is it possible to add onto the front of the hearth with more brick?

Attachments

• PXL_20200925_213221789.jpg
    PXL_20200925_213221789.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 121
If they were placed on cement backerboard or a sheet of metal in order to prevent an ember slipping between them then yes.

Last edited: