Blaze King coal bed burning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Sometime we build up a coal bed for various reasons,not much of a problem with my King Parlor. But I discovered a way to burn a bed down quickly while still throwing a decent amount of heat. My method has been,open bypass,remove ash pan plug in center of stove,rake all coals to center over the opening ,not only do you get flame but heat the combustor thermometer stays at about 11 oclock.I'm guessing you could close the bypass and get even more performance anyone ever try this?

It is never a good idea to burn with the ash door or plug open.

I've been having pretty good luck pulling coals forward, then putting a smaller split of Cherry or soft Maple on. It will kick off the cat again and toss some heat, burn down pretty quickly, and reduce coals in the process..

Last edited:
I am not going to try that one. One split on the coals to feed the cat with tsat on high works for me.